PDA

View Full Version : E46 electronics question, kinda

elvisinturn1
05-22-2005, 10:16 AM
So... my sales rep said that in BMW's, if it has the Nav system, you can play regular DVD movies IF you get some code to "unlock" the head unit. Does anyone know how to get this code, or what it is. I've been looking for it all over the net, and am I crazy or is my salesman a tart :dunno:

dawgbone
05-23-2005, 09:57 AM
So... my sales rep said that in BMW's, if it has the Nav system, you can play regular DVD movies IF you get some code to "unlock" the head unit. Does anyone know how to get this code, or what it is. I've been looking for it all over the net, and am I crazy or is my salesman a tart :dunno:

Don't know about a code...I do know that Mercedes will, being that it will play the DVD, as in you will hear the audio, but the picture is overwritten with some nice screensaver...The techs at my nearest dealership have yet to figure it out though...

I've tried with BMW and couldn't even get the audio to play...So I'm pretty sure, that your best alternative would be ...http://www.tvonnav.com/

Uncle Fester
05-23-2005, 10:02 AM
IIRC, the unit is a CD player. Therefore it can play CDs. It cannot play DVDs, but I think there may be aftermarket mods if you search for them.

Pinecone
05-23-2005, 10:53 AM
Google NavTV. You can play DVD movies from our DVD based nav unit.

dawgbone
05-23-2005, 10:56 AM
IIRC, the unit is a CD player. Therefore it can play CDs. It cannot play DVDs, but I think there may be aftermarket mods if you search for them.

The NAV in my 05 is DVD...In many cases(older NAV systems) would probably be cd, and you will own a cd case with 5 or so NAV cd's of different regions...But for newer systems, you'll have a DVD player and one single NAV DVD..

I'm pretty sure that, there is no code, and is out of the capabilities of the hardware..I'll try tonight to mess around with it...like non-copywrites, and maybe check out what the data on the NAV DVD looks like(TS_video)