PDA

View Full Version : Valet park

dacostad
05-22-2005, 12:47 PM
Well my new M3 is on order. One question for those like me who live in a city (NYC) and have to valet park their cars and have smg. Do you leave the car in Auto mode or what is the safest thing to do for someone not familliar with SMW?

David

bren
05-22-2005, 04:02 PM
BMW includes a cheat sheet that you can hang off the shifter for someone unfamiliar with SMG.

Pinecone
05-23-2005, 10:55 AM
They SHOULD have made the valet key only allow S1 and limited throttle opening and rev limit.

LMC
05-23-2005, 04:21 PM
There are times when I wish I didn't live out so far in the country. The mere mention of the terms "valet parking" anmd "M3" in the same thought isn't one of them... :eeps:

e36M3r
05-23-2005, 04:38 PM
They SHOULD have made the valet key only allow S1 and limited throttle opening and rev limit.

I like that idea, or something simlar.

topspeed
05-31-2005, 05:01 PM
That is one of the best ideas I've ever read. :thumbup:

Jim in Oregon
05-31-2005, 06:19 PM
I would ask to park the car myself. If not, I'd turn off the car and hand him the keys. It would be fun to watch them try to start the car....the sequence will baffle them.....foot on brake; push lever to neutral; turn and HOLD key until the car switches from 1st gear to neutral and then starts.

jetstream23
05-31-2005, 06:30 PM
There are times when I wish I didn't live out so far in the country. The mere mention of the terms "valet parking" anmd "M3" in the same thought isn't one of them... :eeps:

Or even worse....."M3" and "midtown traffic" ! Uhhhh....I don't think you'll need to worry about the rev limit.

dacostad
05-31-2005, 08:03 PM
So you would have thought, but when I walked into te garage on Saturday having old the attendants I would be going out in my Boxster S, there was my car ready to be driven out and parked next to it also waiting for it's owner to take it out was a silmer M3 Coupe with SMG. I mentioned to the attendant that I was getting my new M3 in a month or so and asked him if he was okay with the SMG and he just said, sure it just like a steptronic.

I guess they can figure it out after all ;)

David

creed
06-01-2005, 08:26 AM
I've been suprised so far. Everywhere I've had to use a valet,
they've known what it is. Maybe it would be different if I lived out
in the sticks. I have noticed that all use the automated mode.

-C.

dawgbone
06-01-2005, 08:39 AM
So you would have thought, but when I walked into te garage on Saturday having old the attendants I would be going out in my Boxster S, there was my car ready to be driven out and parked next to it also waiting for it's owner to take it out was a silmer M3 Coupe with SMG. I mentioned to the attendant that I was getting my new M3 in a month or so and asked him if he was okay with the SMG and he just said, sure it just like a steptronic.

I guess they can figure it out after all ;)

David

Funny...What a lot of people don't realize is, how much a valet will actually know about cars..They have a love for cars, and sometimes a love for stealing them as a second source of income..Being that they are familiar with most makes..
They know that it takes a good bit of throttle to launch out of first in a high end Porsche and very rarely stall them...

leejak
06-01-2005, 09:00 AM
I live in southern california and have not had a problem with my M3 SMG.....most parking attendants already know how to do SMG because they park many ferrari's with their SMG system.....I too went through what you are going through....I used to call places ahead of time to ask if they were familar with SMG....`found out that just about everywhere knows all about SMG....

topak
06-11-2008, 02:52 PM
it is a great convenience to each and everyone of us to experience these vvalet parking services (http://www.cvmparking.com). :bigpimp:

trism3
06-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Valet parking is great, BUT they stole my first portable nav. Too bad, I didn't find out until a month later (kept it in the glove compartment). :mad:

I still use valet parking, but I have to get valuable belong out of my car.