PDA

View Full Version : Window Roll Up module review

NoBenz
05-22-2005, 04:36 PM
Well I know a local entrepreneur in Dayton and he has been working on a BMW window module that allows for the owner to roll up the window with their key remote. I've had it on for about 3 weeks now and still works just as well. It was installed behind the glove compartment box.

The module is very friendly in the fact that there is a compartment where it tucks away nicely in. It took about 1 1/2 hours to install and this was due only to not knowing exactly which chip board to use. I think it would be under an hour for anyone else. The signal works by the user pressing two buttons on their remote consecutively. What works best for me, b/c I usually am driving by myself is pressing the lock button and then unlock. Not to worry that you pressed unlock last, when the windows roll up it automatically locks as well! If that button combination doesn't suit you, you can press unlock and then lock.

I think the only downfall to this module is if both doors are unlocked, you cannot initiate the window roll up sequence by first pressing unlock. This is also true if both doors are locked and you press the lock button.

MaxxedOutMotors
05-27-2005, 08:34 AM
There is a company that makes a similar product for Volkswagen. I have installed a number of them and have one on my car. I love it. I would be interested in finding out more on this. Do you have any further info on it? Is this going to be a production item, or a one off? Shoot me an email if you can provide more info.

davecarlson1948
05-28-2005, 03:58 PM
What model are you driving? I read my owner's manual last year and discovered that if you press and hold the unlock button on the remote, the windows will roll down, after a short delay (maybe 5 sec.) First the front windows go down, then the back windows, and finally the sunroof will open, as long as you don't release the unlock button on the key fob. Anyone else looking for this function had best try this!

NoBenz
05-28-2005, 07:13 PM
What model are you driving? I read my owner's manual last year and discovered that if you press and hold the unlock button on the remote, the windows will roll down, after a short delay (maybe 5 sec.) First the front windows go down, then the back windows, and finally the sunroof will open, as long as you don't release the unlock button on the key fob. Anyone else looking for this function had best try this!

Yea I'm sure most people know that. What we are doing is gettin the key to roll thw windows up or "close" your windows. BMW does not offer this function due to liability issues seeing how they have no safety feature if a hand or something got caught in the way of the window and doorframe.

Terry Kennedy
05-28-2005, 07:23 PM
BMW does not offer this function due to liability issues seeing how they have no safety feature if a hand or something got caught in the way of the window and doorframe.Actually, a) there is an anti-pinch sensor in the top of the door frame (at least on sedans and wagons, I don't know what coupes do), and b) BMW offers this feature standard for non-US customers. Only us lawsuit-happy Americans get this sort of thing (and the NAV nag screen).

KPierson
05-30-2005, 04:45 PM
There is a company that makes a similar product for Volkswagen. I have installed a number of them and have one on my car. I love it. I would be interested in finding out more on this. Do you have any further info on it? Is this going to be a production item, or a one off? Shoot me an email if you can provide more info.

More information about my company, KPtechnologies, can be found at: www.KPtechnologies.com and www.KPtechnologies.com/forums

NoBenz contacted me through a local forum and asked me if it would be possible to fit one of our Nissan/Infiniti window modules in to his '04 325i. The installation took much longer then I had anticipated due to trying to figure out the best hardware configuration. We ended up on using a modified Mini Cooper circuit with custom programming for the BMW. (The Mini Cooper circuit is another unreleased product that we built custom for a few local enthusiasts)

As of right now, we have no intentions of publicly releasing a BMW window up product, but if enough interest is shown we might consider doing a small group buy or something along those lines. Since the module has only been tested on one car it can't technically be considered fit for sale through our standards (we require testing on at least five different cars).

NoBenz, thank you for linking me to this thread!

Thank you,

Kevin Pierson
Director of Engineering
www.KPtechnologies.com