PDA

View Full Version : Passenger Airbag Light Off is ON

LondonBlue
05-22-2005, 06:33 PM
The Passenger Airbag Light Off is ON in my 2004 530i. I pushed on the light to see if it was an on/off button. Nothing happened. How do I turn the passenger airbags on??

Also, i was browsing the Owner's Manual. It said that some bmw centers may have disabled the backseat passenger airbags. Why would they do this??

xspeedy
05-22-2005, 06:45 PM
Do a search. That light is always on unless someone heavy is in the seat.

The Other Tom
05-22-2005, 06:55 PM
[Also, i was browsing the Owner's Manual. It said that some bmw centers may have disabled the backseat passenger airbags. Why would they do this??

I think BMW is worried about the liability of putting a child's car seat next to the side door airbags. When I ordered my wife's E46, I special ordered (read: paid extra for) rear side air bags. I was surprised to learn they came deactivated. I had to sign a bunch of waivers to get the dealer to activate them.

Ågent99
05-23-2005, 10:24 AM
Yep, you gotta sign a bunch crap to have your rear side airbags turned on. I put them in my 2001 530i but I think it was a wasted option for me since I have a 3 year old girl. I did not get them on the 545i.

LondonBlue
05-23-2005, 07:13 PM
My husband and I are expecting our first child in November. We specifically ordered rear airbags for protection of the kids since this car will be the family that I drive around. Would you suggest not activating them?

arnolds
05-23-2005, 08:06 PM
My husband and I are expecting our first child in November. We specifically ordered rear airbags for protection of the kids since this car will be the family that I drive around. Would you suggest not activating them?

BMW recommends that the rear airbags NOT ACTIVATED when kids are riding in the back.

LondonBlue
05-24-2005, 03:39 PM
So when is the best time to activate these bags?? Perhaps I shouldn't have even gotten the added option.

The Other Tom
05-25-2005, 04:26 AM
So when is the best time to activate these bags?? Perhaps I shouldn't have even gotten the added option.

If you're going to have kids in the back seat, you shouldn't activate them at all. At least that's what BMW recommends.

yamilrx
05-25-2005, 05:36 AM
If you're going to have kids in the back seat, you shouldn't activate them at all. At least that's what BMW recommends.

I don't have the rear side airbag option on my 05 530i but it comes with the rear head airbags. Are those activated? I have 2 kids riding in the back and want to make sure they are activated if they should be. Although at their height I don't think the head airbag is really going to help them b/c of their height.

Ågent99
05-25-2005, 08:50 AM
The rear air bags in the rear seat of the car are located within the door panel. If a person of insufficient size/weight (like a child...I do not recall the minimal weight...60 lbs.?) is leaning against the door snoozing or whatever and the air bag deploys, it can be quite deadly for a child. Even a child strapped in a carseat isn't safe.

The head air bags are a different story...those come out near the top of the windows. If a human is tall enough for the head air bags to help, I'm sure they are big enough to handle the side air bags as well. In other words, the head air bags wouldn't be a safety issue with children.

Do not activate the rear air bags with children of insufficient size riding in the back seat.

kashrahman
05-28-2005, 07:30 PM
Do a search. That light is always on unless someone heavy is in the seat.

Yes, but I've noticed the light on even when there is an adult in the front passenger seat. A malfunction? thoughts? Kash