PDA

View Full Version : iPod vs. other MP3 players

Bill325Ci
05-23-2005, 01:02 PM
I'm looking to get an MP3 player. iPods seem to be the most popular. Are there any real advantages to the iPod? This player will not be used, for the most part, in my bimmer but rather in my 2001 F-150, so the advantage of being able to install an ICELink is negatted.

01Byte
05-23-2005, 02:05 PM
I'm looking to get an MP3 player. iPods seem to be the most popular. Are there any real advantages to the iPod? This player will not be used, for the most part, in my bimmer but rather in my 2001 F-150, so the advantage of being able to install an ICELink is negatted. Before getting mine I researched the other players. To sum it up, for price/storage capacity/ease of use combination the iPod wins. Also, since it is so widely used and accepted there are hundreds of after market companies out there for it.

Take a look here for all your iPod questions...
http://forums.ipodlounge.com/index.php

I got mine about six months ago and could not be happier.

Tanning machine
05-23-2005, 02:39 PM
Before getting mine I researched the other players. To sum it up, for price/storage capacity/ease of use combination the iPod wins. Also, since it is so widely used and accepted there are hundreds of after market companies out there for it.

Take a look here for all your iPod questions...
http://forums.ipodlounge.com/index.php

I got mine about six months ago and could not be happier.

Agreed here. Any price premium you pay is more than made up for by ease of use/convenience/style/quality. And now there are iPods in several price ranges (shuffle, mini, original) so the low-priced alternatives offered by others have been matched, more or less, by Apple.

I've had mine nearly two years, and it's still going strong (no real battery problems, despite that complaint--the live is no worse than it was at the outset, which isn't great but isn't terrible either).

There's a reason that the iPod is the most popular.

Bob Clevenger
05-23-2005, 05:35 PM
I chose the Rio Karma, which I believe is no longer made. I also chose the Archos AV420.
I much prefer their interfaces to the iPod's, but YMMV. Ability to play more formats that just mp3 was also important to me.

I would suggest going to DAPreview (www.dapreview.com), reading the reviews, and checking out the features of many of the players. Only you can decide which player is right for you. Please make your decision based on what the player actually will do, not just on the popularity of it.

iversonm
05-23-2005, 06:52 PM
Myself, my wife, my sister, and father have iPods. No complaints or issues.

Between my iPod and XM radio, I've rediscovered that music can be fun. YMMV.

flashinthepan
05-23-2005, 06:57 PM
Dell DJ's in my family - no problems at all. :thumbup:

Frank Rizzo
05-23-2005, 08:42 PM
Myself, my wife, my sister, and father have iPods. No complaints or issues.

Between my iPod and XM radio, I've rediscovered that music can be fun. YMMV.
Amen to that. Ipod+Itunes+Sirius = music is fun again.

AB
05-23-2005, 08:44 PM
Amen to that. Ipod+Itunes+Sirius = music is fun again.

Yea lemme speak to Brett Weir :mad:

Bruce128iC
05-29-2005, 07:51 AM
I finally broke down and bought an iPod yesterday. I already LOVE it to death. I mainly bought it for the gym as well as for buisness travel, since I travel about 40% of my time and am sick of sitting in a plane listening to the humanity around me. So far, I am very impressed with how easy it is to set the iPod up and load music to it. Took me a while to figure out how to adjust the volume...I need to spend some time today reviewing the instructional CD that came with it. Also, the iTunes music store totally rocks. I bought about 10 songs yesterday from the top100 song lists from prior years....even one by the Spice Girls! :eeps:

01Byte
05-29-2005, 08:54 AM
I finally broke down and bought an iPod yesterday. I already LOVE it to death. I mainly bought it for the gym as well as for buisness travel, since I travel about 40% of my time and am sick of sitting in a plane listening to the humanity around me. So far, I am very impressed with how easy it is to set the iPod up and load music to it. Took me a while to figure out how to adjust the volume...I need to spend some time today reviewing the instructional CD that came with it. Also, the iTunes music store totally rocks. I bought about 10 songs yesterday from the top100 song lists from prior years....even one by the Spice Girls! :eeps: If your looking to save some money on the downloads try this site...
http://allofmp3.com/index.shtml?r=1859254141

They have a global selection and only charge .02 cents per MB of download (which averages about $2.50 per album). I've been with them for about six months and I'm very happy with the service.

Have fun!! :)

Arthur
06-03-2005, 06:21 PM
aux input is the best, cheapest way to go