PDA

View Full Version : no mode button on radio

gmac
05-23-2005, 07:30 PM
On my 2001 325i, I dont have a mode button, just am fm cd and scan. But in the trunk it says this car is wired for cd changer. Does that mean if I connect a Ice-link in the trunk, I would just press on the cd button a second time and it should work to change from cd to cd-changer

aces219
05-23-2005, 08:23 PM
I have the same question. I tried to get the Ice Link installed at Best Buy this past weekend (I know, I know they are clueless, but I am even more so) and once it was installed, the guy told me that he found out the radio doesn't have a CD changer control mode so the Ice Link won't work. I ended up getting an Alpine head unit instead with iPod interface with which I am very, very happy, but now I want to sell the Business CD and I want to be able to answer whether it works with the CD changer.

gmac
05-23-2005, 08:41 PM
bue doesnt your car say that it come wired for a cd changer because mine does and i am sure that the wire is in the trunk, i just dont if it is actually connected to the stereo

aces219
05-23-2005, 08:57 PM
It doesn't say in the back that it is wired for a CD changer (just a CD player), but the wires for the CD changer are there anyway.

gmac
05-24-2005, 06:28 AM
You mean in the trunk, when you lift the trunk up on the edge It still says that it is wired right, and for a phone and for navigation? with those circular plastic pieces

aces219
05-24-2005, 10:21 AM
You mean in the trunk, when you lift the trunk up on the edge It still says that it is wired right, and for a phone and for navigation? with those circular plastic pieces

Yes, it says it is wired, but it says for BMW CD Player, not for BMW CD Changer like other cars I have seen. Maybe it's just semantics. I read the manual last night and it claims that if you press CD twice, it goes into CD changer mode, so I don't know why the Best Buy guy couldn't get it to work.

gmac
05-24-2005, 04:17 PM
The thing im confused about is why do some stereos say mode and other say CD.
There must be a reason for this, perhaps it was just the year model, like new years say mode and not just CD. I dont know I am sure someone else on this site has some idea about this issue.

aces219
05-24-2005, 04:38 PM
The thing im confused about is why do some stereos say mode and other say CD.
There must be a reason for this, perhaps it was just the year model, like new years say mode and not just CD. I dont know I am sure someone else on this site has some idea about this issue.

This is exactly right. From 2003 on they say mode instead of CD.

bimmerireland
05-26-2005, 08:01 AM
Mine is 00 318i and it has a mode button, Perhaps this is due to the fact being a european car...I donnno

The HACK
05-26-2005, 08:48 AM
The brackets and wires are in the trunk next to the driver's side trunk liner. It is pre-wired for a CD changer that recognizes BMW's proprietary bus signals. There are several aftermarket vendors that makes adaptors that will allow the BMW head unit to control aftermarket CD changers.

Those guys at Best Buys are idiots. They probably hacked up the wires to install the CD changer and didn't go through the BMW bus system, and were trying to sell you another head unit. You could've bought the CD changer/MP3 player/whatnot, installed using an aftermarket harness, and retain all the steering wheel volume/track controls.

Sucks to be you. :(

aces219
06-06-2005, 02:14 PM
The brackets and wires are in the trunk next to the driver's side trunk liner. It is pre-wired for a CD changer that recognizes BMW's proprietary bus signals. There are several aftermarket vendors that makes adaptors that will allow the BMW head unit to control aftermarket CD changers.

Those guys at Best Buys are idiots. They probably hacked up the wires to install the CD changer and didn't go through the BMW bus system, and were trying to sell you another head unit. You could've bought the CD changer/MP3 player/whatnot, installed using an aftermarket harness, and retain all the steering wheel volume/track controls.

Sucks to be you. :(

It's a 2002 Z3, so I don't have steering wheel controls. I know they're idiots, but knowing very little about car audio I felt like I didn't have other options. It actually rocks to be me because now I have an awesome Alpine HU with iPod control that displays track and artist info, something the Business CD could not do. We're selling the Business CD on eBay so at least we'll get something for it.