PDA

View Full Version : Dinan sway bar question

alee
12-20-2001, 04:57 PM
Do the Dinan sways require the same frequent lubrication that RD or UUC requires? I had read something about Dinan using different bushings (?).

-Al

Mr Paddle.Shift
12-20-2001, 08:10 PM
replied to part of your posting on bimmer.org. Anyway, go for RD or UUC sways. ;) Cheaper and works the same. ;)

And the factory bushings aren't as well-made too. Dinan set of sways actually recycles them...

somguy
12-20-2001, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by VinceTopasBlau3
And yes, the factory bushings are as well-made too, if Dinan set of sways actually recycles them.

Mine broke :(

Mr Paddle.Shift
12-20-2001, 08:49 PM
Sorry to hear that :( I implied the wrong statement. What I wanted to comment is that the bushings ARE NOT as well-made :)

Originally posted by somguy

Mine broke :(

alee
12-20-2001, 09:14 PM
Tough decision for me. I'd like to spend less money, but if I have to pay someone to lube every 6 months, I'd rather pay more and go with the solution that you lube every 2 years instead.

So I guess the next question is... how difficult is it to lube? I mean, realistically my car goes in for an oil change every 4-5 months. I have my dealer do it, so the car goes up on a lift. Is it such a big deal for me to say to them "while the car is up there, can you lube the sways?", or is it still a lot of work?

-Al

Mr Paddle.Shift
12-20-2001, 09:40 PM
Well, you can get a pair of those Rhino ramps and do it yourself. Kaz and I installed the sways using the ramps. Of course, we had to jack out the rears to install the endlinks, but that was just a one-time thing.

I am sure lubing the bushings don't require removing the endlinks.

I would say most bushings have to be lubed anyway.... :)

Originally posted by alee
Tough decision for me. I'd like to spend less money, but if I have to pay someone to lube every 6 months, I'd rather pay more and go with the solution that you lube every 2 years instead.

So I guess the next question is... how difficult is it to lube? I mean, realistically my car goes in for an oil change every 4-5 months. I have my dealer do it, so the car goes up on a lift. Is it such a big deal for me to say to them "while the car is up there, can you lube the sways?", or is it still a lot of work?

-Al

ayn
12-20-2001, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by alee

-Al

Lubing the sways is actually not an easy job, if you don't even want to change your own oil, you probably won't like lubing your sways yourself. Dan Wu has instructions on his website on how to install sways, and believe me, it's not an easy project (well, I didn't have all the right tools so it made it real hard!). To lube it, you pretty much have to jack up the car again, remove the links and lube them... pretty easy if you installed it yourself in the first place, but if not, might take a few hours the first time...

JawKnee
12-20-2001, 11:07 PM
I for one found the install for my sways or anti-roll bars (i.e. UUC ;)) was fairly easy and straightforward, but then again, I've installed pretty much everything on my car and others' cars as well. It took me close to 2 hours the first time...

I have yet to find myself needing to relube my bushings yet, and I've had my bars on for around 10 months or so and my car sees the track quite a bit, 10+ events in the e46er. But then again, I lubed the bushings to the extreme during the installation :D and I don't think the "effort" to relube the bushings should deter you away from the RD or UUC bars.

I happen to be a big fan of Dinan, as my car is a 'Dinan 3', but I'm not a fan of their suspension packages, although they are well-balanced and are not bad at all. I believe the anti-roll bars that are a part of Dinan's suspension packages are Eibachs and although they offer fine tuning abilities of your car's oversteer and understeer characteristics just like the other bars do (not sure how many possible adjustments though -- the others I believe offer 3 holes for both the front and rear bar), they're not quite as thick. I wouldn't be surprised if it was close to the dimensions of the Sport Package sways. As a result, you probably won't notice a dramatic reduction in your car's body roll during cornering like you would experience with the other 2 bars and I personally think the body roll found in the e46 chasis, even one equipped with the SP, is just too much for a bimmer...

So...

Get yourself either the RDs or UUCs! You can't go wrong and you won't regret it!

TD
12-21-2001, 07:12 AM
When I had my 330i I had the UUCs on it. The first time I went to lube them, I did not have the proper tools and it was a time-consuming, knuckle-skinning nightmare. Even with the right tools, it's still an involved job.

I wouldn't try it without a large socket set with sockets and handles of different lengths and depths and I'd invest the $15 or so on a lube gun and a cannister of heavy duty lithium grease. I had all of this the last time I lubed them (just prior to getting rid of the car) and it was MUCH easier.

Also, on the rears, I found it easier to get at the bushings if the wheels were off (and no weight was pulling down on the components). So, to have both rear wheels off, you'll also need jackstands and a floor jack.

But I also think that working on your car is a great opportunity to bond with it. If you're not willing to change your own oil, forget lubing your sways.

And most dealers would want to charge you 2 hours labor to lube them which, in most cases, is $130-150. :eek:

The HACK
12-21-2001, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by ayn

Lubing the sways is actually not an easy job, if you don't even want to change your own oil, you probably won't like lubing your sways yourself. Dan Wu has instructions on his website on how to install sways, and believe me, it's not an easy project (well, I didn't have all the right tools so it made it real hard!). To lube it, you pretty much have to jack up the car again, remove the links and lube them... pretty easy if you installed it yourself in the first place, but if not, might take a few hours the first time...

You just have to remove the bushing bracket. You HAVE to have a rachet driver with 13mm bits though, since there really isn't enough space to turn a wrench more than 30 degrees.

Just think, Al, it'll be a good opportunity for you to remove those wheels and clean the INSIDE of the wheels once every 4-6 months. ;)