PDA

View Full Version : 2.5i Manual Smooth?

Schmebi
05-24-2005, 07:40 AM
Hello, I am new to the site. I just ordered a 2.5i manual on 5/19. This will be my first BMW as I am switching over from VW. There was not a 2.5i manual to be found anywhere for me to test drive so I only was able to drive the auto. Can anyone let me know their experience driving the manual? Happy with it?

Thanks!

climrgrl
05-24-2005, 10:16 AM
I have a 3.0i manual and love it! I'm still working on Ultimate Shifting Smoothness -- for some reason, my bf's R32 is much easier for me to shift smoothly (probably because I've spent more time driving it). But driving a stick is so much fun, and it has lots of pull at higher RPMs (4000-5000). It's also my first BMW, so I can't really compare much -- that said, putting it into reverse takes a little getting used to (it's a forceful push to the left). It doesn't help that I keep trying to push the knob down like I'm in the VW..... ;)

pipo
05-24-2005, 10:53 AM
More than happy, thrilled! The six speed manual is beautifully mated with the 2.5. Close, short gearing between 1-4, providing excellent low speed torque, with a smooth, easy transition to 5-6. 6 is nice and tall for highway cruising, and 5 is good for 50-60 cruising. Engine note is a nice, midrange growl, especially from 3000-5000 rpm. Some have said that the 2.5 sounds better than the 3.0, due to a baffle plate (or some such thing) in the 3.0's exhaust system. Shifting is crisp and short, and the shifter is well-placed.

Plus I get 22-24 mpg regularly with mostly country driving.

Have I said that the drivetrain (and suspension) is what I love best about this vehicle? Take your X3 (after it is broken in) on a nice country road on a warm, moonlit night, lower all the windows, open the moonroof all the way, and drive fast... You won't believe you're in an SAV. If you feel like it, let out a scream -- it's that good. BMW has redefined performance in the world of SUVs.

You're gonna love it! :clap:

Schmebi
05-24-2005, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the info! I am so excited and I think the wait for delivery is going to kill me. My dealer said no longer than 8 weeks. Does this sound right?

climrgrl
05-24-2005, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the info! I am so excited and I think the wait for delivery is going to kill me. My dealer said no longer than 8 weeks. Does this sound right?

It was 8 weeks and 3 days for me, but I'm on the west coast. Don't get your hopes up too much, but you may get yours in 6. If you do some searching on shipping status, there's a bunch of info out there on tracking. Don't forget to check status on the owner's circle portion of BMW's website.

Schmebi
05-24-2005, 01:20 PM
Yes, I will try not to get my hopes up but that would be great. I think I am becoming obsessive about this. I have checked the OC several times. I need a distraction :) How long did it take until you received a production date? Is this shown on the OC site as well or did your dealer tell you.

Rob V
05-24-2005, 02:11 PM
Obsesive!? Been there, Done that...still doing it actually. If you want a distraction you can order your free copy of the BMW Films DVD. It's on the Rewards portion of the OC.

In terms of the timing it was about a week for each of the first couple of stages. The "Produced But Not Shipped" status was almost two weeks and it will be in the "Transit" stage about 4 weeks. Then expect about another 2 weeks from there. I've heard that the tracking on the OC is actually pretty slow. One particular person had a call from their local dealer that the car had arrived while the OC stated that it was still in the Final Prep stage.

I'm currently going on a little more than 6 BRUTAL weeks and have been told that I could expect delivery around June 15th. That would be almost 9 weeks.

chull
05-25-2005, 08:55 PM
I just test-drove an X3 2.5 with the 6-speed manual. It was wonderful to drive.

I currently have three cars in my stable: 2001 325iT, 2004 VW Beetle Convertible (1.8T), and 1991 Miata, all with 5-speed manual transmissions. Of my cars, the 325iT transmission is the least smooth to use and the clutch the hardest to modulate. With 25 years of manual transmission driving (including 2 different 1602s), I am still stalling the 325iT on a regular basis.

But the transmission on the X3 was so much easier to use, and the 6-speed seems to make up for the extra weight of the X3. A great package.

I was looking at possibly replacing the Beetle, as we have a second daughter due in July, and although it was fun, it just wasn't practical. And the Miata will always be even more fun! The X3 seemed to be "fun enough", and just a little more pratical than the 325iT - no mean feat.

Schmebi
05-26-2005, 04:42 AM
Chull, Where did you test drive? Was it recently? I went to BMW of Fairfax & Sterling in VA and both said there wasn't a 2.5i manual to be found anywhere. Maybe they didnt want me to go to another dealer. Did you test drive in Bethesda? I might need to take a trip over there just to see what I can expect. Yes, were are due in July too with our second and it is time for a little more room :) Thanks for the input.

chull
05-26-2005, 08:44 PM
Yesterday, I test-drove a 2004 X3 CPO 2.5i with 4000 miles. Today, traded in the Beetle Convertible and bought it from them. Almost loaded - Sport Package, Premium Package, Premium Sound and Cold Package.

With a nearly-2-year-old, and another baby due in July, the Beetle just wasn't big enough. I just picked up the X3 2 hours ago.

BTW, the transmission and the rest of the car work much better when the seats are properly adjusted. After a woderful test drive yesterday, when I drove off today the X3 seemed to drive like a truck - notchy transmission, slow to react, and a little tippy and unbalanced.

But halfway home I lowered the seat to the lowest setting, moved the steering wheel closer to me and down and adjusted the mirrors. I could not believe the difference - it drove like a sports car the rest of the way home - shifting was better and the X3 was much more poised.

Schmebi
05-27-2005, 06:23 AM
Congrats on your purchase. Thanks for your feedback. Now I just have to sit and wait for mine. Enjoy, I'm jealous! :)

Schmebi
05-29-2005, 06:45 PM
Yea! I was able to test drive in the manual yesterday! What fun! I am even now more excited. Thanks for all the feedback.