PDA

View Full Version : Int / Ext color combinations (terracot with red / green or blue)

SabreXray
05-25-2005, 09:38 AM
I was chatting with the local BMW dealer today about X3s. He said there are still slots for the July build. I asked what was going to change for 2006 (since I was leaning on waiting for the new MY) I don't know if he just wanted to sell a car now or what but he said he doesn't believe anything major will change (he also said he didn't KNOW, one way or the other).

Anyway I told him I was sold on the terracotta interior but really wanted to see it first. He said he was delivering a highland green / terracotta on the 5th and I could comeby and see it if I would like.

I told him the website doesn't allow any of the colors (red / green / blue) with the terracotta. He said no, had no problem at all ordering any interior with any exterior colors.

I was set on Silver Gray Metallic / Terracotta (birch trim), now I don't know anymore. I asked about the red /red combo and the fact that they were very different reds (terracotta is almost orange) but he said he sold one and that he though that it was a good looking combination.

I am dying to see the green / terra he is delivering. Might be the color combination I order.

JP

http://www.bmw.de/de/interaktiv/car_configurator/index.html?contentUrl=http://ecom.bmwgroup.com/ecom40v1/DE/main/controller?event=_bypass&action=init&brand=BMW&language=de&nsc=DE-V1&reset=session&process=vco&initTarget=vco.init&action=vco.selectConfiguration&series=X3&body=GF

the BMW.de site's configurator lets one select terracotta with any exterior color. Also has the bluegray interior and Mocca brown as an exterior color option.

adc
05-25-2005, 10:05 AM
Anyway I told him I was sold on the terracotta interior but really wanted to see it first. He said he was delivering a highland green / terracotta on the 5th and I could comeby and see it if I would like.

I told him the website doesn't allow any of the colors (red / green / blue) with the terracotta. He said no, had no problem at all ordering any interior with any exterior colors.

I was set on Silver Gray Metallic / Terracotta (birch trim), now I don't know anymore. I asked about the red /red combo and the fact that they were very different reds (terracotta is almost orange) but he said he sold one and that he though that it was a good looking combination.

I am dying to see the green / terra he is delivering. Might be the color combination I order.

JP

That's what we got for our June ED (Highland Green/Terracotta/Birch). I actually saw one in person and liked the combo, but it is definitely not the "safest" color choice. Highland Green is nothing like the previous greens - think of it more like charcoal grey with a dab of olive in it. It's pretty dark. And I would not think of Terracotta as a red - it's more like brown with a little (some say more than a little) orange in it.

And yes, at least this combo - although impossible to select on the web configurator - can be easily specified by the dealer. Not sure about the Blue and Red with Terracotta, although I suspect it would work too...

adc
03 330 ZHP

SabreXray
05-25-2005, 10:18 AM
That's what we got for our June ED (Highland Green/Terracotta/Birch). I actually saw one in person and liked the combo, but it is definitely not the "safest" color choice. Highland Green is nothing like the previous greens - think of it more like charcoal grey with a dab of olive in it. It's pretty dark. And I would not think of Terracotta as a red - it's more like brown with a little (some say more than a little) orange in it.

And yes, at least this combo - although impossible to select on the web configurator - can be easily specified by the dealer. Not sure about the Blue and Red with Terracotta, although I suspect it would work too...

adc
03 330 ZHP

I have seen the Highland green, there was one parked at an office building that I ogled for a few minutes, I like the color very much and orginally was thinking about highland / sand biege / maple. But I like the pictures of the terracotta more than the sand biege. I guess I will decide after I see the terracotta in person.

I am really thinking about renting one for another week while I wait, $500 for a week is a bit hard to justify to the wife for a second "test drive," though.

JP

jdeday
05-25-2005, 10:39 AM
Check out this link, it has a review of an 2005 X3 Mystic Blue with Terracotta Interior.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/LongTerm/articleId=104066/pageId=62327#1

mkh
05-25-2005, 11:31 AM
Just a word of caution. The terracotta interior should and must be seen in person before making any decisions. DO NOT rely on photos on the web, especially the picture in the brochure. So far, none of them I've seen is even close to its original color. My mind was dead set for terracotta before I saw one in person. I finally had a chance to see it last week and I don't like it. It's not bad, but it's not what I expected. To me, it's a little too orange. So, I think I'll stick with my 2nd choice which is black.

The above comment also applies to Highland Green. No doubt, this color is the closest match with the bumpers. The bumpers are not black, but very dark gray. Black is too dark/glossy compared to the bumpers. The reason I don't pick Highland Green is that it is too subdued or blended. If you stand 50ft away from it, you won't notice it compared to black which looks like your clean, shiny shoes. Again, color is very subjective, and to each his own. But just on the safe side, it's better to see it in person first if you are picking a non-standard color, or combination.

Bonezilla
05-27-2005, 03:12 PM
Do you guys think these colors would be difficult to match here in the US? Such as if an accident would occur and something needed repainted. Like the highland green, mystic blue, velvet blue? Aren't these special order colors? I've never seen one stcok on a lot here anyway.

adc
05-27-2005, 03:49 PM
Do you guys think these colors would be difficult to match here in the US? Such as if an accident would occur and something needed repainted. Like the highland green, mystic blue, velvet blue? Aren't these special order colors? I've never seen one stcok on a lot here anyway.

Nope, they're standard colors. Just as difficult to match as the rest of the metallic colors like Titanium Silver for instance. Velvet Blue is special order in fact, the rest that you mentioned are not.

There are a very few select colors which are difficult to match, such as Audi's Pearl White. Those are very involved jobs and only certain shops seem to do a good job of it (but that paint was $1200 or so to order in the first place, so that gives you an inkling about what's up the road).

adc
03 330 ZHP