PDA

View Full Version : Another '98 M3 question

SilverTE90
05-25-2005, 10:54 PM
So , the good : Silver/Grey 4dr. interior is perfect, paint shines one owner garaged. 80k miles.Just had 2 maintence done. All maint done by selling dealer including extra in between oil changes. all options, HK, power seats ect work great.

The bad: a tree limb from a storm we just had fell on the hood and made a nice dent.

the ugly: its a auto.

So i read the sticky, but im wondering why we are entertaining a auto m3. Hows the performance and reliablity of that unit ? i was in a hurry and did not actually drive the car yet. just the once over and checked the vin at the dealer.

thanks in advance.Sorry if this has been covered.

M SP 8077
06-06-2005, 07:31 PM
I drive a '97 auto 4dr M3 and I kinda like it. My other car is a 5 spd and after many years driving in traffic, i think this auto M3 is great. Never gave me any problems and I have upgraded a few things since I bought it. Changes include cross drilled rotors, projector headlights, AC shnitzer exhaust, Pioneer DVD/Navigation, Infinity Bass link, and a Reiger look front lip spoiler. As far as engine mods, don't really wanna touch it cause it is perfect. I did however added a K/N drop in filter and modified the airbox. I love my car and I think it is a great ride.

Crab
06-14-2005, 11:49 AM
I also have a 98 M3/4Door/Auto. I have 211,500 on the engine and transmission so if taken care of I don't see any reliability problems. Still runs very strong and shifts great. This was a happy compromise with the wife as she likes the 4 door and automatic. She will not drive a manual. Not much done to the engine just a carbon fiber cold air intake and dinan chip. The only problem is my wife wants to drive my car all the time instead of her Lexus. The Lexus is a fine car but it is cushy comfy and she is from Indianapolis so she has a little racing blood in her.

Nick325xiT 5spd
06-14-2005, 11:53 AM
If it's anything like the 328 auto I spent a couple weeks in (same tranny, I believe), it's an abominable drive. The newer steptronic transmission is almost tolerable, but the old auto was absolutely horrible to drive.

my_e36
06-14-2005, 05:30 PM
Sorry for asking the obvious.... is the auto M3 = SMG-1 M3 ??

If so, how is it like to drive comparing a normal auto to SMG?
I found a SMG e36 M3 at a dealer which looked kinda nice,
just want to gather some opinion about its SMG box on smoothness, reliability, etc...

cchan
06-15-2005, 09:20 AM
Sorry for asking the obvious.... is the auto M3 = SMG-1 M3 ??
No, SMG is different from a "traditional" AT. SMG 1 was the predecessor to the current SMG II offered on E46 M3s. Both SMGs use a clutch just like a manual, it is just controlled by electronics rather than the driver/clutch pedal. This is different from a traditional auto, which uses a torque converter instead of a clutch.

I don't know how SMG1 is, but there are a lot of comments in the E46 M3 forum about SMG II - quick summary is that it is NOT like a traditional auto tranny, and you should not expect it to be smoot like an AT. You have to drive SMG like a manual, you just don't have to use the left foot.

Only "traditional" automatic transmissions were offered here in the US on the E36 M3s, we didn't get the SMG 1 option.