PDA

View Full Version : Question about OEM Sirius receiver

jziran
05-26-2005, 10:33 AM
I recently picked up my Jet Black x3 3.0 with Sand beige leather interior. After reading the forums I mustered the courage to self install the Sirius satellite radio even though the dealer said it requires "special activation" by the dealership.

Long story short, it was very easy and it didn't require a dealer activation. I simply called Sirius to activate.

So, here is my question -

I received 2 different install guides for the Sirius receiver, one date March 2004 and the other dated Jan 2005.

The March 2004 had an illustration and part number for a OEM Sirius receiver that has 2 antenna inputs (SAT & TER) and requires the use of a ALS(?) unit in order to hook the receiver to the antennas.

The Jan 2005 had an illustration for an OEM Sirius receiver that has 1 antenna input and hooks directly into the factory wiring in the car (although I have to replace the connector on one of my sat antenna wires). The directions simple say that you will not use the TER antenna wire that is part of the sat prep package.

Sounds like the new receivers do not have the terrestrial antenna option. Can someone confirm? IF so, is there a way to get the old receiver? I live in Seattle and I assume most large cities have Terrestrial Sirius SAT repeaters and I am kind of bummed that I don't have this option.

Anyone have any info?

TIA,

Justin

Terry Kennedy
05-26-2005, 12:46 PM
The March 2004 had an illustration and part number for a OEM Sirius receiver that has 2 antenna inputs (SAT & TER) and requires the use of a ALS(?) unit in order to hook the receiver to the antennas.

The Jan 2005 had an illustration for an OEM Sirius receiver that has 1 antenna input and hooks directly into the factory wiring in the car (although I have to replace the connector on one of my sat antenna wires). The directions simple say that you will not use the TER antenna wire that is part of the sat prep package.

Sounds like the new receivers do not have the terrestrial antenna option. Can someone confirm? IF so, is there a way to get the old receiver? I live in Seattle and I assume most large cities have Terrestrial Sirius SAT repeaters and I am kind of bummed that I don't have this option.The single-input receivers get both SAT and TER over the same antenna cable. The two-connector receiver is an obsolete design (for both Sirius and XM). Due to the lead times needed to prepare an option in the automotive market, this older design was used initially by BMW. Once they sold out of those receivers, they switched to the more modern single-antenna units.

I'd be surprised if the sat prep included separate SAT and TER antenna leads - the Sirius antenna that BMW sold for the 3-series, even with the old receiver, was a single-lead antenna. Part of the annoyance with the older receiver were the 2 gizmos needed to adapt the new antenna to the older receiver.

I have a request in to BMW support to find out if there is a way to show Sirius signal strength on the radio / NAV screen. I know the receiver supports it (the new 1-antenna receiver uses the standard Sirius PnP tuner), I just don't know if the BMW interface passes that information along. When I get an answer, I'll report back.

jziran
06-02-2005, 11:10 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

vontech
06-04-2005, 10:59 AM
Does anyone have a link to the installation instructions for the X3? My dealer attempted to install a Sirius OEM unit in my new X3 (production date 3/05). He said the X3 satellite prep had TWO antenna leads and the receiver he had only had ONE input??? He's looking for some kind of adapter .....

From what I have read here, I thought that there should be only ONE radio lead on '05 products.

Can anyone help here, and especially supply links to the install guides??

Thanks very much!!

mrbelk
06-04-2005, 02:59 PM
Does anyone have a link to the installation instructions for the X3? My dealer attempted to install a Sirius OEM unit in my new X3 (production date 3/05). He said the X3 satellite prep had TWO antenna leads and the receiver he had only had ONE input??? He's looking for some kind of adapter .....

From what I have read here, I thought that there should be only ONE radio lead on '05 products.

Can anyone help here, and especially supply links to the install guides??

Thanks very much!!

I can speak pretty intelligently on this, since I just today installed the Sirius receiver in my wife's new X3.

I too got the same install kit with the 2-lead adapter. I had to get P/N 65 12 0 397 740 at my local BMW parts counter. It was a $2 part and its color matches the color of the antenna jack on the Sirius receiver. The installer will have to use a very small flathead screwdriver to get the blue connector off the antenna wire in the car and replace it with the aforementioned P/N.

Your dealer should be able to get the current installation instructions from the BMWTIS system. The part number of the instruction document I received from Circle BMW is 01 29 0 392 563. That is for X3's with SATNAV, but the actual SIRIUS receiver connections are the same with or without NAV, the only difference is how to handle the mounting bracket.

-MrB

jdeday
06-06-2005, 09:01 PM
The part number of the instruction document I received from Circle BMW is 01 29 0 392 563.-MrB

How long did it take for you to receive your reciever after you placed your order through Circle BMW?

Thanks.

Jeff

mrbelk
06-07-2005, 06:27 AM
How long did it take for you to receive your reciever after you placed your order through Circle BMW?

Thanks.

Jeff

I placed the order on May 25 or 26 and it arrived on my doorstep on June 3.

-MrB

jdeday
06-09-2005, 10:46 AM
I placed the order on May 25 or 26 and it arrived on my doorstep on June 3.

-MrB

Wow, that was fast! I should be getting mine any day. I ordered on June 3rd.

Jeff

travelin34
07-21-2005, 10:14 AM
I just picked up my new X3 with Sirius prep. The dealer said that the tunner would be installed in the trunk area (near the battery), but I do not see any factory installed wiring in that area.

I am sure that I can do an install myself but I am confused as to where this factory installed wiring lies. Can anyone give me some direction?

Thanks!

B r i a n
07-21-2005, 07:13 PM
Attached are some picts of the area and cables - I had satellite prep.
Have not installed Satellite - went with Icelink Plus instead.

travelin34
07-23-2005, 08:43 AM
Perfect and thanks for the pics and info! :thumbup:

jziran
03-30-2008, 08:33 PM
I recently picked up my Jet Black x3 3.0 with Sand beige leather interior. After reading the forums I mustered the courage to self install the Sirius satellite radio even though the dealer said it requires "special activation" by the dealership.

Long story short, it was very easy and it didn't require a dealer activation. I simply called Sirius to activate.

So, here is my question -

I received 2 different install guides for the Sirius receiver, one date March 2004 and the other dated Jan 2005.

Sounds like the new receivers do not have the terrestrial antenna option. Can someone confirm? IF so, is there a way to get the old receiver? I live in Seattle and I assume most large cities have Terrestrial Sirius SAT repeaters and I am kind of bummed that I don't have this option.

Anyone have any info?

TIA,

Justin

Back again!

3 years later. Turning in my x3 for a 2008 328xi in 30 days. Has anyone installed the sirius in the 328xi? Is it easy, is there an install kit? I've searched but can find anything without a lot of acronyms that i am not familiar with.

Looking for part numbers and PDF of the instructions so i can get familiar with them. Any tricks I need to be aware of? Heard circleBMW is the place to shop but I wanted real world testimonials.

Thanks in advance,

Justin