PDA

View Full Version : Waste of space

wingrove
05-27-2005, 01:45 AM
Am I the only non smoker whos annoyed at the waste of space in the pop door above the gearshift almost entirely taken up by cigarette lighter, ashtray and lighting for it? if you dont smoke this is a real squandering of some very valuable and easily accessable storage space. Or maybe its me :-) yes its a little thing but bugs me just the same. Who wants to use that power outlet anyway and have ugly unsafe cords coming out of there.
j

Caesar
05-27-2005, 03:53 AM
Am I the only non smoker whos annoyed at the waste of space in the pop door above the gearshift almost entirely taken up by cigarette lighter, ashtray and lighting for it? if you dont smoke this is a real squandering of some very valuable and easily accessable storage space. Or maybe its me :-) yes its a little thing but bugs me just the same. Who wants to use that power outlet anyway and have ugly unsafe cords coming out of there.
j

Many reviews of the X3 note that BMW still doesn't understand Americans when it comes to their love of cup holders and the lack of a need for a giant ashtray console.

I don't even understand why they bother with ashtrays for smokers - since smokers neglect to use them. Every day I see them tossing matches and butts out of the car. They litter our highways constantly. They think the entire U.S.A. is their giant ashtray -- durn smokers.

If you are a smoker on this board -- explain why you feel it is okay to throw your trash onto our highways? It is litter (and you can get fined if caught). When you get home, dump your ashtray into a trash can and dispose of it properly.

Would you throw your McDonalds bag out on the highway? A cigarrette is no different just because it is smaller.

Have you ever looked at the edge of a road or the cracks in the sidewalks -- 90% of the trash is cigarette related. Matches and butts immersed in the cracks everywhere.

When their windows are open, I pull alongside and yell at them for throwing their trash out -- they give me a bewildered look, like "what did I do wrong". They don't understand or even realize it is wrong.

JG
05-27-2005, 04:50 AM
j

Ash trays are still popular in Europe from what I understand. Savvy manufacturers will have ash trays as an option, with alternates such as coin holders, iPod connectors etc. in place of the tray.

If you pop the ashtray out - it makes a perfect holder for the typical garage door opener - a bit of velcro and voila!

Rob V
05-27-2005, 05:37 AM
Any idea if some company out there, or BMW themselves, makes an alternate piece that you can swap out that deosn't have the ash-tray portion of it? I thought I saw that somewhere. It still has the lighter portion of it but no ash-tray. Or maybe I'm just going crazy.

keep off median
05-27-2005, 06:12 AM
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90215&highlight=ashtray

Check this thread. I posted the part number and a picture of the option. It's not great, but it's slightly better than the standard ashtray and it's pretty cheap. If the link doesn't work, just do a search in the X3 forums for "ashtray" and you should find it.

Tayrum
05-27-2005, 07:21 AM
Many reviews of the X3 note that BMW still doesn't understand Americans when it comes to their love of cup holders and the lack of a need for a giant ashtray console.

I don't even understand why they bother with ashtrays for smokers - since smokers neglect to use them. Every day I see them tossing matches and butts out of the car. They litter our highways constantly. They think the entire U.S.A. is their giant ashtray -- durn smokers.

If you are a smoker on this board -- explain why you feel it is okay to throw your trash onto our highways? It is litter (and you can get fined if caught). When you get home, dump your ashtray into a trash can and dispose of it properly.

Would you throw your McDonalds bag out on the highway? A cigarrette is no different just because it is smaller.

Have you ever looked at the edge of a road or the cracks in the sidewalks -- 90% of the trash is cigarette related. Matches and butts immersed in the cracks everywhere.

When their windows are open, I pull alongside and yell at them for throwing their trash out -- they give me a bewildered look, like "what did I do wrong". They don't understand or even realize it is wrong.
AMEN! I wish there were more people like you who felt the same way as I do about cigaretts and fact that most smokers do not consider them to be garbage and that is their right to throw them when finished. To smoke is a discusting habit in the first place. Littering with cigaretts adds to the discusting factor.

When I was test driving the X3 I asked the sales rep what was with the ashtray and lighter and could I get it removed and replaced with something else as an option. When I was told no, I asked that he bring forward a message to BMW that non-smokers are fastly out numbering smokers and why on earth would a company like BMW WANT to contribute to a habit that kills its drivers!

One day I'll look for the aftermarket insert but for now, I think that North Americans should send the message to BMW that smoking in a car (ESPECIALLY with children in it) should NOT be encouraged or an option.

Caesar
05-27-2005, 07:29 AM
AMEN! I wish there were more people like you who felt the same way as I do about cigaretts and fact that most smokers do not consider them to be garbage and that is their right to throw them when finished. To smoke is a discusting habit in the first place. Littering with cigaretts adds to the discusting factor.

When I was test driving the X3 I asked the sales rep what was with the ashtray and lighter and could I get it removed and replaced with something else as an option. When I was told no, I asked that he bring forward a message to BMW that non-smokers are fastly out numbering smokers and why on earth would a company like BMW WANT to contribute to a habit that kills its drivers!

One day I'll look for the aftermarket insert but for now, I think that North Americans should send the message to BMW that smoking in a car (ESPECIALLY with children in it) should NOT be encouraged or an option.

And watch -- no smoker will have the guts to respond here as to littering -- I find them to be very evasive and mysterious on this topic.

At least PA, Texas and North Carolina are trying to do something:

http://www.litterbutt.com/

Someone at work (a heavy smoker) in the cube next to me got a letter from litterbutt.com after someone reported them for littering from their vehicle -- they actually posted the letter on their cube like it was a big joke. And unfortunately, it did not change his conduct one bit.

http://www.litterbutt.com/Images/BumperSticker1_large.gif

MPoWeRMAN
05-27-2005, 07:30 AM
Porsche Cayenne has an option for non smokers to get the non smoking package, more room where the ash trays go, I use my X3 ash tray for coins, and with the center console and the glove box, there is plenty of storage for me

iseebi
05-27-2005, 07:53 AM
BMW has standard part to replace the ashtray console for 3 series, you can choose to have it or not. I don't know if this part can apply to X3 directly.

I am a smoker and I don't think it is a discusting habit. It's no point here to discuss whether people should smoke or not.
Just take myself as an example, I do use the ashtray almost everyday, but I never throw the butt out of window, first, it's not ethical, second, the butt may be put back by the wind then fall down on my rear seat. nobody will want that happen.
I don't know the percentage of how many drivers are smoker in US, but i do know lots of smoker drivers in China. and the same in EU, please think a little bit more for these people, they need it and to having this part in the vericle will help them to maintain the environment as non-smokers.
besides, if you don't smoke and you have the astray console, you can just use it as coin holder, from the place I lived, all taxi drivers can't smoke when they're on duty, but every taxi(not BMW of course) has ashtray, so it's very common that taxi driver just use it as coin holder.

If you really feel not comfortable about having an ashtry on your X3, just buy the part to replace it. but don't criticise people just becuase they are smokers.

Bonezilla
05-27-2005, 08:09 AM
I'm a smoker, but I don't smoke in my car or in my house or anyone else's house, even if they smoke in their own home. Cig butts are trash and I don't like to see this happening either. Just because someone smokes, it doesn't make them a slime ball litterbug. That's like saying eveyone from the south is stupid and they screw their sister. I've seen just as many non-smokers throw trash out their windows. So, since we're bitching about smokers and their BUTTS, I'll just throw my 2 cents in about CELL PHONE users. That really gets me pissed. We live in a " I don't give a S@%# about anyone but ME society". I battle ahole cell phone users weaving around on the highway on a daily basis. Driving way below the speed limit, crossing the center line and just plain not paying attention or even caring if anyone else is on the same road. As soon as they're off the phone its 90mph and get the hell out my way attitude.

iseebi
05-27-2005, 08:20 AM
I'm a smoker, but I don't smoke in my car or in my house or anyone else's house, even if they smoke in their own home. Cig butts are trash and I don't like to see this happening either. Just because someone smokes, it doesn't make them a slime ball litterbug. That's like saying eveyone from the south is stupid and they screw their sister. I've seen just as many non-smokers throw trash out their windows. So, since we're bitching about smokers and their BUTTS, I'll just throw my 2 cents in about CELL PHONE users. That really gets me pissed. We live in a " I don't give a S@%# about anyone but ME society". I battle ahole cell phone users weaving around on the highway on a daily basis. Driving way below the speed limit, crossing the center line and just plain not paying attention or even caring if anyone else is on the same road. As soon as they're off the phone its 90mph and get the hell out my way attitude.

hahaha, that's a good one, BTW, Where do you live? I don't know what's CO. :thumbup:

Caesar
05-27-2005, 08:23 AM

True -- I find cell phone users to not cause accidents, but to cause traffic slow-downs. It seems they can't drive at normal speed and be on the cell phone. So all the worry about distractions and accidents with cell phones doesn't seem accurate to me. What they do cause, is more traffic, due to inefficient driving while on the cell phone.

And while non-smokers may litter too, the fact is, walk along-side any road, the majority of the litter is generally cigarette related. Cigarette litter is a huge problem. Read the stats on:

http://www.litterbutt.com/

Rob V
05-27-2005, 08:25 AM
...Just because someone smokes, it doesn't make them a slime ball litterbug. That's like saying eveyone from the south is stupid and they screw their sister.....I'll just throw my 2 cents in about CELL PHONE users. That really gets me pissed. We live in a " I don't give a S@%# about anyone but ME society". I battle ahole cell phone users weaving around on the highway on a daily basis.

Wait a minute, aren't you now generalizing yourself about cell phone users? I don't smoke nor do I make it a habbit of talking while I'm driving (but I have done it) so I don't take your comments personally. But you made the comment to not generalize about smokers then you generalize about cell phone drivers. There are people out there who can do two things at once.

Bonezilla
05-27-2005, 08:32 AM
Not to change the subject about cigarette butts, but I think there are more accidents because of cell phone use than we really know about. Really, how many people are going to actually admit they caused an accident because of their phone. They would be clueless that they were even involved, or admit they throw cig butts out their window. You are correct, some people can talk and drive, but what should you really be doing while you're driving. Driving is a privilage and most people don't look at it that way anymore.

Rob V
05-27-2005, 08:47 AM
...Driving is a privilage and most people don't look at it that way anymore.

Agreed! :thumbup:

Bonezilla
05-27-2005, 08:53 AM
Rob V. I wasn't implying that All cell phone users cause problems driving. But how many times have you encoutered someone weaving around or cutting the center line? Most I have come across have a cell phone in hand. (and I said most, not all) Sorry, I didn't plan this to turn into the cell phone post. People that smoke, shouldn't use the highway as their personal ashtray.

Rob V
05-27-2005, 09:23 AM
No worries Bonezilla. I was just playing a little Devil's Advocate to keep an interesting conversation going. Just last week I was at a 4-way stop and the person who's turn it was to go just stood there like a bump on a log. When I looked inside the car it was a lady on her cell-phone and she had no clue it was her turn. The first words out of my mouth were "...damn cell phones". Then I went before my turn :D .

adc
05-27-2005, 12:59 PM
All this commotion... possibly about nothing?!

At least on the E46 3 series BMW has a "non-smoker package" which you can get for free simply by asking when ordering your vehicle. It consists of a non-lit ashtray replacement cubby and a plastic plug over the 12V socket (instead of the cigarette lighter).

I didn't bother to order it for my 330, mainly because I'm using it as an odds-and-ends tray and I wanted it lit at night. You can always line it up with self-adhesive felt bought at any arts&crafts store so whatever you drop inside won't rattle. And you can always get the plastic plug from the parts department to replace the cig lighter.

So has any one of you ranters ever checked with BMW for the free availability of a non-smoker package for the X3?

My god, the stink some people can raise over such petty issues...

Best regards,

adc
03 330 ZHP

Caesar
05-27-2005, 02:16 PM

At least on the E46 3 series BMW has a "non-smoker package" which you can get for free simply by asking when ordering your vehicle. It consists of a non-lit ashtray replacement cubby and a plastic plug over the 12V socket (instead of the cigarette lighter).

I didn't bother to order it for my 330, mainly because I'm using it as an odds-and-ends tray and I wanted it lit at night. You can always line it up with self-adhesive felt bought at any arts&crafts store so whatever you drop inside won't rattle. And you can always get the plastic plug from the parts department to replace the cig lighter.

So has any one of you ranters ever checked with BMW for the free availability of a non-smoker package for the X3?

Best regards,

adc
03 330 ZHP

I dont' think BMW can provide a device to stop smokers from littering though. That's the real problem.

Only two smokers responded here -- and you know that dozens have read this thread. They are too ashamed to acknowledge their littering habit.

http://www.litterbutt.com/Images/BumperSticker1_large.gif

wingrove
05-27-2005, 02:44 PM
I WILL be asking about a non smoking package or ashtray area replacement. I didnt mean to start an anti smokers thread even though Im probably the most anti smoking person you'll find (no ive NEVER smoked) I 've no problem with people who smoke as long as they DONT SMOKE WITH THEIR KIDS IN THE CAR. man that really gets my blood boiling.

Any way anyway back to ashtrays, Ill suss it out and post again if I come up with a solution which, after all is what these forums are about, helping others or getting help about BMW. not health issues

adc
05-27-2005, 02:53 PM
Only two smokers responded here -- and you know that dozens have read this thread. They are too ashamed to acknowledge their littering habit.

Most likely they're too polite to reply to your useless posts. I would not have replied either if they would have contained even the slightest useful info for BMW owners (you know, this being a BMW forum and all).

Clearly you have no such qualms...

adc
03 330 ZHP

Caesar
05-27-2005, 04:08 PM
Most likely they're too polite to reply to your useless posts. I would not have replied either if they would have contained even the slightest useful info for BMW owners (you know, this being a BMW forum and all).

Clearly you have no such qualms...

adc
03 330 ZHP

It is info for all BMW owners -- don't pollute your own car and don't litter.

JG
05-27-2005, 07:33 PM
It is info for all BMW owners -- don't pollute your own car and don't litter.

There is an "OFF TOPIC" forum for political meanderings which have nothing to do with the X3 :thumbup:

wingrove
05-27-2005, 08:55 PM
ahh once again a post descends into slanging off others. a joy to see. I never for once imagined it was in any way a huge or earth shattering issue. I cant line the thing with felt or whatever as when i take the ashtray out theres still a lighter in there and all the spring mechanisms for the door. Perhaps Ill just sort this one out myself with BMW and not involve anyone else in my petty thoughts. The point of these forums is to use the collective brains trust of others who may have already enquired and solved this petty problem. yes I will aks my question before bothering others and if its so tiresome ADC just dont bother wasting your time by dropping by? othersseem to have at least some interest or at least some manners.

Lori
05-28-2005, 10:07 AM
I hate when some jerk flicks thier cigarette into the path of my car. I make a point to look for smokers and watch when they litter. If possible I get in front of them to avoid cigarette in the grill sysndrome.

adc
05-29-2005, 07:16 AM
yes I will aks my question before bothering others and if its so tiresome ADC just dont bother wasting your time by dropping by? othersseem to have at least some interest or at least some manners.

I seem to have already posted an answer to your question.

The rest of my diatribe was not specifically directed at you, sorry if it felt that way. But as to not dropping in, well this is a very public sort of place - when you post something you can expect anybody to reply - some of the replies may be to your liking and some not.

Spend a little time more on these forums and you'll learn this too...

In the meantime, like I suggested, talk to your BMW dealer about it.

adc

pipo
05-30-2005, 04:13 PM
I understand that for 2007, all BMWs equipped with ashtrays will also be equipped with an automatic heat sensing negative conditioning device called the Pavlovian Retriever. If the Retriever senses a hot object passing through the vertical plane of an open window, the hot object is automatically sucked into the vehicle's back seat.

In the old days, they knew how to design cars to accomplish the same result without resorting to high tech devices. One of my fondest memories is driving around in my '68 Nova with the rear seat on fire. My brilliant pal had committed one of the aforementioned atrocities, and his butt ended up in the back seat (no, not his butt, his butt). Since I could already see the road directly through a hole that had rusted through the floor in the back, I didn't get too fussed about the newly charred back seat. Just another badge of honor.

Don't you miss having a real beater? :bawling:

Tayrum
05-31-2005, 06:19 AM

Best regards,

adc
03 330 ZHP
It's odd that when I took the X3 for a test drive and questioned the ashtray that the sales rep did not mention that there was a "non-smokers package". I wonder if I go back to the dealer if they will supply me with one since I did ask.

Thanks and I'll look into it.