PDA

View Full Version : Tire Question

x39339
05-27-2005, 02:18 PM
Hi all,

After 2 and a half months wait, finally, picked up my X3 on Wednesday night. :rofl: Despite they have to take off the ipod adaptor at the last minute coz of my Navi, everything is cool. I notice the tires on my 3.0 are Pirellis Scorpion, and some 3.0 out there are Michelins. On my way home that night when I make a fast left turn, tires squeaks. So my question is, which tires better/durable (Especially in ice and snow), and why some get Michelin and some get Pirellis? Is it something that we can choose when we place the order?

I'll post picts of my new car (First BMW) soon since this week has been crazy. Thanks.
Also, any good suggestions on any other way to hook up the ipod besides the ipod adaptor and iTrip?

2005 BMW X3 3.0 i Silver Grey Auto, Navi, Adaptive Headlights, Pana Sunroof, PDC

mguhler
05-27-2005, 04:56 PM
I love my Scorpions, great in winter. I had Michelin MXV4s on my old 3 series and they were OK too. I say stick with what you have.

Ipod, just get the Monster cable FM modulator/charger. That way you can take it with you to any car; rentals, spouse's, etc.

AudioBMW
05-27-2005, 06:24 PM
Hi X39339:

Congratulations on picking up your car on Wednesday. I picked up mine this afternoon and I am absolutely thrilled.

It's funny, you mention the tires, because I noticed that too ... I'm glad you asked that question. I got the Pirelli's and I noticed the 3.0 had the Michelins.

Anyway ... I will post pictures later this week too ... Just for the record it was worth the wait. I think I just might sleep in the car tonight (just kidding).

Have a great weekend.

Cheers,
PDS

pipo
05-27-2005, 06:40 PM
The Pirellis are good tires, but if they're squeaking, You probably need to check and adjust the inflation pressure (29f/32r light load; 32f/38r full load). Some people set their pressures within that range. I've been using 32f/35r with good results.

These are definitely not snow tires. OK for occasional light snow. Not for heavy snow use, in which case you'll need dedicated snow tires.

Enjoy your new X3!

motordavid
05-28-2005, 05:03 AM
Hi all,...I notice the tires on my 3.0 are Pirellis Scorpion, and some 3.0 out there are Michelins. On my way home that night when I make a fast left turn, tires squeaks. So my question is, which tires better/durable (Especially in ice and snow), and why some get Michelin and some get Pirellis? Is it something that we can choose when we place the order?

Most mfg'ers use dual/multiple sourcing for tires on Some Models. It is not something you could have "selected" at order.

It musta been a helluva left hand turn or your pressures are off...hard to make Xs's tires squeak or squeal. GL,md

dkl
05-28-2005, 11:55 AM
If you don't have a CD changer, look into the Icelink adapter. If you Do have a CD changer, then the AUX input (not sure if this is available with NAV) is a good alternative for your IPOD. The former will still allow you to have steering wheel control over the IPOD where the latter will only allow you to have volume control on the steering wheel. I would avoid any FM modulators.

BigO1120
05-28-2005, 12:06 PM
In regards to your tires...I have Scorpions on my X3 2.5i and they were great in the snow. I live in the East Coast (NJ) and we just got hammered by a lot of snow storms. I was a bit woried about how they would handle but to my surprise my X3 took on the snow like a CHAMP! There were a lot of times where we got 6+ inches and I was so happy that she handled so well the way she did.

So in my opinion the Scorpion tires are JUST right!

pipo
05-30-2005, 03:46 PM
In regards to your tires...I have Scorpions on my X3 2.5i and they were great in the snow. I live in the East Coast (NJ) and we just got hammered by a lot of snow storms. I was a bit woried about how they would handle but to my surprise my X3 took on the snow like a CHAMP! There were a lot of times where we got 6+ inches and I was so happy that she handled so well the way she did.

So in my opinion the Scorpion tires are JUST right!

Dude, not to rain (or snow) on your parade, but NJ ain't Canada or New England. I slid out with my Scorpions in the first major snowstorm in New England, promptly switched to Dunlop M3 snows, and never looked back. The difference in secure traction on snow and ice is enormous.

climrgrl
05-31-2005, 09:41 PM
If you don't have a CD changer, look into the Icelink adapter. If you Do have a CD changer, then the AUX input (not sure if this is available with NAV) is a good alternative for your IPOD. The former will still allow you to have steering wheel control over the IPOD where the latter will only allow you to have volume control on the steering wheel. I would avoid any FM modulators.

I'm pretty sure that Dension has an ice>link version for iPods that is compatible with both NAV and premium stereo (CD changer, DSP) options. Search the forum and there's info about it. Note that it might not be the version that is available at Best Buy.

BigO1120
06-01-2005, 03:40 PM
pipo, you are right! NJ isn't Canada or NE but we did get HAMMERED with a lot of snow and I am very please with the tires. I was going to change them if I noticed that the traction or support wasn't good but to me I was please with the rubbers (and I drove my X3 hard in the snow).