PDA

View Full Version : Cloth interior available for X3?

YetAnother
05-30-2005, 07:25 AM
Does anyone know whether you can order an X3 with a cloth interior in the US? Maybe as a special order? This is standard in Europe, while in the US it appears that vinyl (Sensatec)and leather are the only two possibilities ever mentioned.

Thanks.

Steveo8998
05-30-2005, 12:33 PM
Hey, im just curious but why do you like/want Cloth anyways??? :dunno:

adc
05-31-2005, 09:12 AM
Hey, im just curious but why do you like/want Cloth anyways??? :dunno:

Allow me: because it's much more comfortable in the summer or winter - it never feels hot or freezing. Plus, it's more absorbent for those hot summer days. It holds you better when driving in a spirited manner. And unless you soil it, there is no maintenance needed.

The only advantage leather offers, is when you soil it with certain substances which are much easier to remove from leather than from cloth.

Cloth is one of the 2 main reasons I bought my 3 series with the performance package...

But back to the OP: no you cannot order it. However, you could try your dealer and see if he can find you the parts numbers for the cloth seat covers from the Euro X3. Those replacement covers would not be very costly, I would imagine in the neighborhood of $500...

adc
03 330 ZHP

bren
05-31-2005, 09:23 AM
But back to the OP: no you cannot order it.
That's not necessarily true. I (and several others) were able to special order cloth for the 3 series. You just need to find a salesman/dealer/regional rep. who are all willing to try.

adc
05-31-2005, 09:32 AM
That's not necessarily true. I (and several others) were able to special order cloth for the 3 series. You just need to find a salesman/dealer/regional rep. who are all willing to try.

Now you're telling me??? :cry:

Yes I've heard of others being able to special order stuff, like a cloth interior. But I had never actually "met" anyone that successfully did it - thought of it as a BMW urban legend really :) .

adc
03 330 ZHP

YetAnother
06-01-2005, 09:02 AM

Thanks, everyone, for the info.

Bren, how difficult can it really be to find a dealer willing to do this? It's just ticking a different box on a standard form, right? So instead of ticking "BL" (or whatever) for black leatherette, they tick "BC" for black cloth. There is no effort or intelligence required on their part. I would think they just need to know the upholstery code.... Or am I oversimplifying this?

bren
06-01-2005, 10:25 AM
Thanks, everyone, for the info.

Bren, how difficult can it really be to find a dealer willing to do this? It's just ticking a different box on a standard form, right? So instead of ticking "BL" (or whatever) for black leatherette, they tick "BC" for black cloth. There is no effort or intelligence required on their part. I would think they just need to know the upholstery code.... Or am I oversimplifying this?
If it isn't a US option then your salesman won't have the choice to select it from any check box. They have to put your order in and get in touch with someone at BMW NA to have the order modified.

It's a significant hassle and a threat in that they might possibly be stuck with a cloth interiored BMW on the lot if you back out for some reason.