PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth ULF is getting updated every 3 or 6 months?

Alex Baumann
05-30-2005, 01:57 PM
I was looking at the latest parts catalog and noticed that the Bluetooth ULF is getting upgraded every 3 or 6 months. I mean, unless you have problems with your BT, there's no way that it will be swapped under warranty.

But for those, who wants to stay up-to-date, it's hell of an expensive way to buy the newest part every 3 months :rolleyes:

Wouldn't it be possible to have them upgraded with a software? :confused:

Thanks for listening to my rant :D

Terry Kennedy
05-30-2005, 03:05 PM
I was looking at the latest parts catalog and noticed that the Bluetooth ULF is getting upgraded every 3 or 6 months. I mean, unless you have problems with your BT, there's no way that it will be swapped under warranty.

But for those, who wants to stay up-to-date, it's hell of an expensive way to buy the newest part every 3 months :rolleyes:

Wouldn't it be possible to have them upgraded with a software? :confused: It is made by Visteon, a manufacturing unit that was spun off from Ford Motor Co some time ago. They've both (Visteon and Ford) been having financial problems, though Ford recently agreed to bail out Visteon.

The unit can be reprogrammed at Visteon. I don't believe it is an upgradable control module (like the DME) in the BMW DIS, however.

My best guess is that a) most of the software changes are in the Bluetooth side of things (not the BMW interface) and are related to support for newer phones or unusual configs requested by all of the other manufacturers Visteon supports with the basic module.

Also, I don't think this module was ever used in new-car production, only retrofits (the BMW models it pertains to went from CPT8000 to BMW Assist with no Bluetooth in the middle) so BMW didn't stock up on a large quantity for assembly line use. They probably order what they think they need for a few months of retrofit sales, run out and order more, at which time the software has changed so BMW changes the part number to clarify the distinction.

Alex Baumann
05-30-2005, 03:42 PM
OK, that makes sense, of course. My Siemens S55 phone works perfect with one of the earliest BT modules, so it wouldn't be different with the latest ULF, I guess.