PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade from Base Audio to Logic7

ericpgo
05-30-2005, 04:07 PM
I called my BMW dealer asking for an upgrade to Logic7 and he answered that this is not possible from a technical point of view. I will be very happy if someone could tell me where I can find technical information in order to understand if there is a real problem. I cannot believe that !

MarcusSDCA
05-30-2005, 04:30 PM
Anything is possible if you have enough money. I'm no audio-guy but I do know that the entire dashboard is different in the Logic7 cars...the center channel speaker is built in to the top-center of the dash. So even if you could retrofit the audio you'd have to cut a big square hole in the top of the dash or buy a new dashboard.

BillP
05-30-2005, 05:48 PM
I called my BMW dealer asking for an upgrade to Logic7 and he answered that this is not possible from a technical point of view. I will be very happy if someone could tell me where I can find technical information in order to understand if there is a real problem. I cannot believe that !

Marcus is right, anything is possible.

I would estimate $3K-$5K: New dash, new speakers, new electronics, probably a new wiring harness. Then toss in a few dozen hours of labor.

You could probably get an upgrade to 7.1 via aftermarket means for half the cost.

Bill

Mathew
05-30-2005, 06:07 PM
I haven't heard of any dealer that officially installs factory-only options. And I doubt you will find any technical information on how to install it. Yes, anything is possible if you have the money. But at this point, you're looking to buy a bunch of individual pieces and have whoever the dealer sub-contracts (who aren't trained in Logic7 by BMW) hack away and try to put it together. It's not going to be anywhere near 100% seamlessly integrated, and if there are problems BMW certainly won't cover any expenses. Maybe someone can prove me wrong. :dunno:

At this point, your best bet is just to go the aftermarket route. If there isn't an aftermarket solution for the E60 now, there will be in the near future.

djcwardog
12-01-2009, 02:11 PM
My car does not have Logic7 but the grille is present in the center of the dash for the speaker... Still would need elec parts, harnesses, etc... While at it, add-in the IBOC module to get HD FM radio... This would be a neat upgrade if the path was clear on how to do it...

Or just wait for JBL's MS-8 Logic7 processor with internal center channel amp and use that as the heart of an aftermarket solution. Get the BSW speaker kit for non-Logic7 cars and have them include the center speaker from the Logic7 kit as well...

NetSpySD
12-01-2009, 02:13 PM

Do you want a supported, warrantied, solution that stays with your car warranty? That does not exist. You asked your dealer for an upgrade option which there is none.

However, if you want to upgrade the system and be on your own, I am sure you could pay someone in an alley to do the work.

It would be much cheaper to buy a new car with the options you want rather than pay $10k or more to add $500 worth of parts.

Newmanium
12-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Not willing to try the Bavarian upgrade? For $600 self-installed, certainly seems like a reasonable option to try in the meantime and see if that's satisfying.

Does Bavarian Soundwerks offer any discounts to bimmerfest customers? Any group buy type things going on for the E60?