PDA

View Full Version : Front License Plate Frame

Dandager
05-30-2005, 03:36 PM
I am in a state that does not require a front bumper license plate. So, I would like to take the frame off of the bumper of my 545. Man, was I surprised/pissed to find that the license plate frame was screwed directly into the bumper itself! There are two raised screw holes that are very visible.

In my 540, BMW had a very well thought out solution for this, but not so now...or at least from what I see.

Has anyone else dealt with this and, other then keeping the frame in place, did you find a reasonably inconspicuous solution?

Thanks, Dan

TGray5
05-30-2005, 06:04 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what to do. I'll probably sand down the raised portions carefully and then find something to plug it with and apply touch up paint

The other option is something like Bumperplugs.com if they make them in 545 colors. Or just leave the plate holder on, perhaps with a euro plate.

Ågent99
05-31-2005, 09:34 AM
I'm still trying to figure out what to do. I'll probably sand down the raised portions carefully and then find something to plug it with and apply touch up paint

The other option is something like Bumperplugs.com if they make them in 545 colors. Or just leave the plate holder on, perhaps with a euro plate.

But you're required to have a front plate in CA! :p

...this coming from a guy who hasn't had a front plate on his 530i since day one, 57,000 miles ago! :rofl:

I did, however, go ahead and put my front plate on the 545i....

TigerNY
07-14-2005, 07:08 PM
ughhh and now i wanna know if in ny front plates are neccessary ..

remington
07-14-2005, 07:48 PM
My dealer here in California didn't even attach the front licence bracket. There was a disclaimer form I had to sign saying that I knew that they hadn't attached the licence bracket. Funny. And good, no holes!

stream
07-15-2005, 07:35 AM
My dealer here in California didn't even attach the front licence bracket. There was a disclaimer form I had to sign saying that I knew that they hadn't attached the licence bracket. Funny. And good, no holes!

Same experience here--I told them in advance not to attach front plate, and when I was signing the paperwork, they had me sign the release form--apparently some dealers were getting into trouble for not installing the front plates.

For those with holes, I've used Bumperplugs on several Porsches:
www.bumperplugs.com

ronqureshi
07-26-2005, 11:35 AM
My dealer did not install the front frame but did provide
it to me. I was thinking of installing it and then putting on the
BMW marque plate on.
Does it look good enuf to make the holes in the front bumper?
Anyone?

Uncle Fester
07-26-2005, 11:45 AM
My dealer did not install the front frame but did provide
it to me. I was thinking of installing it and then putting on the
BMW marque plate on.
Does it look good enuf to make the holes in the front bumper?
Anyone?
No.

Ågent99
07-26-2005, 05:30 PM
For those with holes, I've used Bumperplugs on several Porsches:
www.bumperplugs.com (http://www.bumperplugs.com)
You know, if their shipping price wasn't so bloated, I would have picked up a pair for my 545i and nixed the front plate. For some reason, when I saw the shipping price, I swore I'd find another solution or just leave the plate on.

Plate's still on.... :)

gbelton
07-26-2005, 07:04 PM
Hello My Friends:

My dealer did not install the front plate nor did I fill out any form... I am required to have it NY/NJ.

-GMAN

Big Pete
08-03-2005, 05:44 PM
Hi Dan,
I assume KY does not require a front license plate as I only received one when I registered my 545 SMG. However, I was equally disappointed to find the front license plate frame drilled into the bumper.

My work-around: I mounted my ED plate over the holes.
Big Pete

Kgm2431
02-12-2012, 07:24 AM
Any idea on how to install the plate holder without screwing into bumper. I have the holder which fits in underneath but that's it woithout screwing into bumper.

Just bought the car from NC and I live in NYS so it's required if I want ot avoid getting pulled over all the time.

Thanks

chelseafc
02-12-2012, 07:27 AM
Front plate required in CT, but I'll be damned if I fugly up the M Sport bumper on mine. I pulled it off, was expecting huge holes but as it turns out they aren't that bad. My plan is to clay, polish and wax the whole bumper simply leaving the very small screw holes in place. They are barely noticeable, and compared to having a hideous front plate, the bumper now looks much better. Not perfect, but a hell of a lot better.

nhs156
02-12-2012, 03:48 PM
I must admit i don't get the uproar surrounding front license plates. I had them when I lived in Texas, and thought they looked fine. I know live in Georgia, and don't have them. If I move to a state that requires them, I'll drill holes and attach. Not a big deal. I don't think it ruins the aesthetics to a noticeable degree, and it's certainly better than being THAT guy - you know, the one who's "so concerned" about the look of his car that he's too vain to attach plates. C'mon guys - it's not a big deal!

And if you're moving from a state that requires them to one that doesn't, just get the darned plugs or attach one of those emblem plates to the front. Problem solved, and the world still goes round. :)

chelseafc
02-12-2012, 06:16 PM
I must admit i don't get the uproar surrounding front license plates. I had them when I lived in Texas, and thought they looked fine. I know live in Georgia, and don't have them. If I move to a state that requires them, I'll drill holes and attach. Not a big deal. I don't think it ruins the aesthetics to a noticeable degree, and it's certainly better than being THAT guy - you know, the one who's "so concerned" about the look of his car that he's too vain to attach plates. C'mon guys - it's not a big deal!

And if you're moving from a state that requires them to one that doesn't, just get the darned plugs or attach one of those emblem plates to the front. Problem solved, and the world still goes round. :)

No, YOU'RE that guy. The clueless guy that doesn't appreciate a work of art and thinks its ok to have a big rectangle attached to the middle of a bumper that deserves to be shown off as it was designed.

Count me in as vein, along with 99% of the other people on this board.

MC-X3
02-12-2012, 07:46 PM
Any idea on how to install the plate holder without screwing into bumper. I have the holder which fits in underneath but that's it woithout screwing into bumper.

Just bought the car from NC and I live in NYS so it's required if I want ot avoid getting pulled over all the time.

Thanks

Don't know if they would work on your car, but on our Mini we got a plate holder that screws into the towing tie down bolt location. I agree with the others about a plate screwed into the bumper is fugly. Unfortunately on my X3 it was already on there when I bought it.:tsk:

nhs156
02-12-2012, 08:16 PM
No, YOU'RE that guy. The clueless guy that doesn't appreciate a work of art and thinks its ok to have a big rectangle attached to the middle of a bumper that deserves to be shown off as it was designed.

Count me in as vein, along with 99% of the other people on this board.

It's designed to have a front license plate drilled into it - it's law just aout everywhere except for a few states in the US. And while I can appreciate the look of most BMWs, I would hardly call them works of art. But to each their own, I suppose.

chelseafc
02-13-2012, 06:10 AM
It's designed to have a front license plate drilled into it - it's law just aout everywhere except for a few states in the US. And while I can appreciate the look of most BMWs, I would hardly call them works of art. But to each their own, I suppose.

So 55 or 65 is the law just about everywhere, you're never going over that limit?? If it's not a safety issue, then I see no problem with it.

Campfamily
02-13-2012, 07:26 AM
How about this one?

http://www.skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.shtml

I figured if I ever get a ticket for not having a plate, I'll buy one of these, attach the plate, get the ticket signed off, and then remove it again. Any holes are invisible.

One of the vain ones.......:D

Keith

chelseafc
02-13-2012, 08:51 AM
How about this one?

One of the vain ones.......:D

Keith

:thumbup:

MrTantrum
02-14-2012, 09:16 AM
I live in Texas where we too are "required" to have front license plates. However, I have known several people over the years who have not installed them and have never gotten a ticket (even with speeding tickets and other violations). I just purchased my '08 535i and it did not have the front plate installed, but the mount and plate were in the trunk. I plan on following the previous owner's footsteps.

It is also funny that I have been thinking about this for the last few days and have been observing other cars on the road. I would venture to guess that about 10% of the cars I see do not have front plates. Seems to me to be one of those things where you would only get a ticket if you were pulled over for some other and the officer was having a really bad day.

However, I would +1 on the hidden brackets if I ever was forced to install a front plate.

Campfamily
02-14-2012, 04:51 PM
I live in Texas where we too are "required" to have front license plates. However, I have known several people over the years who have not installed them and have never gotten a ticket (even with speeding tickets and other violations). I just purchased my '08 535i and it did not have the front plate installed, but the mount and plate were in the trunk. I plan on following the previous owner's footsteps.

It is also funny that I have been thinking about this for the last few days and have been observing other cars on the road. I would venture to guess that about 10% of the cars I see do not have front plates. Seems to me to be one of those things where you would only get a ticket if you were pulled over for some other and the officer was having a really bad day.

However, I would +1 on the hidden brackets if I ever was forced to install a front plate.

I think a lot has to do on where you drive, how you drive, and what you look like. For example, my oldest son has just started driving. I made sure that the car he is driving has a front license plate, so that there isn't an excuse for a cop to pull him over "just because". I've been driving out here for years without a front plate on my cars, and I've gotten two tickets, neither with the BMW. One was when the car was parked at a Park-n-Ride (the car was parked nose in to a bridge abuttment, so the cop was obviously bored and wanted some easy pickings), and the other was driving out in the middle of nowhere in Northern California, in the town of Bridgeport (again, I think it was a bored cop).

Keith

Jaycal3
02-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Front plate required in CT, but I'll be damned if I fugly up the M Sport bumper on mine. I pulled it off, was expecting huge holes but as it turns out they aren't that bad. My plan is to clay, polish and wax the whole bumper simply leaving the very small screw holes in place. They are barely noticeable, and compared to having a hideous front plate, the bumper now looks much better. Not perfect, but a hell of a lot better.

In Ct also and have never had a front plate mounted. My car did however come with a front plate holder built in to the front bumper. I took the screws out and sprayed them black. I refuse to mount a front plate... U.G.L.Y.!

Once Red
02-15-2012, 08:26 AM
Front plates are not required here in NC., so I mounted an aftermarket holder on the towhook located on passenger side of my 525. The symmetry doesn't bother me, and I think it sets-off my special plate above others

chelseafc
02-15-2012, 08:29 AM
Front plates are not required here in NC., so I mounted an aftermarket holder on the towhook located on passenger side of my 525. The symmetry doesn't bother me, and I think it sets-off my special plate above others

Why would you possibly mount a plate when its not needed? The side mount looks like some of the boy racer mounts I see on Civics and such, along with the anodized and exposed tow/recovery hooks...I mean where are you going to get stuck, in the mall parking lot?

ArtchredTTU
02-15-2012, 10:37 PM
I hate all of y'all that dont require license plates on the front :mad::mad::mad::mad: BAH!!

I was thinking about ordering german plates and then having the front one offset to the right.. Just to be a little different. Yay or nay??:dunno:

chelseafc
02-16-2012, 06:37 AM
I hate all of y'all that dont require license plates on the front :mad::mad::mad::mad: BAH!!

I was thinking about ordering german plates and then having the front one offset to the right.. Just to be a little different. Yay or nay??:dunno:

If you do a Euro plate, mount it regular, in the middle. The Euro plates look better because they don't intrude into the kidneys or down into the lower valence opening.

Once Red
02-17-2012, 01:24 PM
check out my picture, using the towhook location for a vanity plate from Maine.......... 1972 vintage

nhs156
02-17-2012, 07:02 PM
So 55 or 65 is the law just about everywhere, you're never going over that limit?? If it's not a safety issue, then I see no problem with it.

I don't understand your argument - think you completely misconstrued my post/point.

nhs156
02-17-2012, 07:04 PM

I lived in TX for 10 years, and drove w/o a front license plate for just a couple of months before I got the ticket. Ticket was for other stuff as well; this was just icing on the cake for a cop in a bad mood.

chelseafc
02-18-2012, 05:07 AM
I don't understand your argument - think you completely misconstrued my post/point.

What is detrimental about not running a front plate? Yes it's against the law in some states, but so what?

Campfamily
02-18-2012, 07:33 AM
What is detrimental about not running a front plate? Yes it's against the law in some states, but so what?

From the law enforcement standpoint, it makes it harder for them to catch you with a red-light camera. At least, that's what the CHP officer told me when I got my last ticket. From our standpoint, that's a benefit. Of course, I've found the best defense against getting caught by a red light camera is.......don't run red lights!:D

JONNYCHIRO
02-18-2012, 07:38 AM

Front plate looks like ****.

ragtop steve
02-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Well, this made me chuckle:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Look at you fellas in the US, :thumbup:

I wish we did not need a front number plate in the UK, but We Do, its the Law and the Law sucks, i know several of the e36 lads use blanking plate but with the Police over hear you would soon get pulled over and fined. :mad:

I did look at getting a mitsi evo number plate surround as thats set to the left of the center and would look good:)