PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Body Side Moldings?

cruisevirgin
05-30-2005, 05:38 PM
Dealer wants $495 for body side moldings (to protect doors) which get mounted (glued) by dealer on doors and are color matched with car. Does anyone know where one can purchase them at a lower price?
Thanx for suggestions.

530iii
06-01-2005, 05:59 PM
Can you post some pics?

The pricing sounds a wee bit high, for that price you could almost clearbra the body panels. :confused:

Who makes these mouldings?

cruisevirgin
06-01-2005, 06:46 PM
These are interconnected rubberized or pliable plastic strips that attach horizontally on the car doors in the middle of the door. I have no idea who makes them. They are color coordinated with vehicle shade and protect the doors from other cars' doors. The dealer told me that his cost is $395 and they would charge me $495. Thats all I know. It seems somewhat high??
does anyone have any suggestions?

BillP
06-01-2005, 07:52 PM
These are interconnected rubberized or pliable plastic strips that attach horizontally on the car doors in the middle of the door. I have no idea who makes them. They are color coordinated with vehicle shade and protect the doors from other cars' doors. The dealer told me that his cost is $395 and they would charge me $495. Thats all I know. It seems somewhat high??
does anyone have any suggestions?

I would have three concerns:

1. Color - Unless they are painted with BMW paint, they aren't going to be color matched. "Coordinated" could mean anything.
2. Thickness - It could like fine in a photo but look pretty stupid close up.
3. Durability - How long will they last until they start peeling off the car?

Have you seen a car with these things?

Bill

vern
06-02-2005, 08:47 AM
Dealer wants $495 for body side moldings (to protect doors) which get mounted (glued) by dealer on doors and are color matched with car. Does anyone know where one can purchase them at a lower price?
Thanx for suggestions.
What YEAR and MODEL are you talking about?That would be helpful.
cheers
vern

cruisevirgin
06-02-2005, 10:00 AM
BillP and Vern,
"coordinated" was my adjective, dealer said they were made with BMW paint.
Thickness - about 1/2 inch but rounded on top and flat where affixed to car.
Durability - unknown

Saw this on 2006 525i and 530i in white, platinum silver and black. It looked very natural, as if it was assembled in the factory (but it was really affixed by the dealer).

Ågent99
06-02-2005, 02:00 PM
Well, near as I can tell, BMW doesn't have body moldings akin to the E39 for the E60 but I've been wrong at least once this year.... :)

I've often looked at my doors bulbous shape and thought a well-placed shot from a neighboring car could do wonders to that shape...door molding might not be a bad idea but Bangle obviously didn't design them in I think.

We'd love to see pics of this if you have them.

cruisevirgin
06-05-2005, 05:36 PM
Sorry do not have photos. this is not made by bmw but by aftermarket source. I wish I could find out who make it??
any thoughts....