PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles Installation of Bluetooth for 2001 325?

davenewman
05-30-2005, 08:26 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for a local place or mobile installation company to put bluetooth into my 2001 325i?

If it matters, I have a Cingular Treo 650.

Thank you for any help!

Bob Clevenger
05-31-2005, 10:24 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for a local place or mobile installation company to put bluetooth into my 2001 325i?

Thank you for any help! I'm certainly no expert on any BMWs, especially those that are different from mine, but here goes.

I don't think that there is a BMW BT module for your '01 325i. I know there's not one for my '02 M coupe. If that is the case, I suggest you do what I am doing for my coupe, and that is get a Parrot CK3100 kit (lots of them on eBay) and install it in your car. You will probably need adaptors to connect to the BMW head unit.

Kaz
05-31-2005, 10:41 PM
Actually, there are modified OE kits sold by a number of places that are supposed to work in pre-02 cars. But they're pricey (~$700) and there is still the question of how well the phone and the BT will work in terms of syncing the phonebook. But the good thing is that putting an aftermarket kit in a 99-01 is pretty easy, and has been covered here many times (including by yours truly). I use my SE HCB30 with my Treo650 now, and aside from the fact that it does work a bit differently than with my old SE Z600, it's working just fine.

davenewman
06-01-2005, 07:50 PM
Yes Kaz, I going to install an OEM kit.

Which one works for you?

Thanks

onetech
07-04-2005, 12:22 PM
hello i have a 03' 330i and according to the sales person the car si ready for phone now i'm not sure if the wires are only compartible with the nokia phone and of cures mean you got to take the cup holders out witch i don't wanna do, know what can i do if i wanna connect my cell phone, from the info what i have read is that i could buy a bluetooth adapter but not sure if i will be able to used the bt and all the staff in that the car can do know i was thinking if i could used an adapter with the existing wires so i culd use the microphone and speackers even if i can't use the bt... what i need to do and has anyone done that, i have a treo 600 with cingular... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Bob Clevenger
07-04-2005, 02:00 PM
hello i have a 03' 330i and according to the sales person the car si ready for phone now i'm not sure if the wires are only compartible with the nokia phone and of cures mean you got to take the cup holders out witch i don't wanna do, know what can i do if i wanna connect my cell phone, from the info what i have read is that i could buy a bluetooth adapter but not sure if i will be able to used the bt and all the staff in that the car can do know i was thinking if i could used an adapter with the existing wires so i culd use the microphone and speackers even if i can't use the bt... what i need to do and has anyone done that, i have a treo 600 with cingular... :mad: :mad: :mad: I'm not sure exactly what you are saying. Maybe I don't read so well.
I believe you can install the OEM BT module (ULF, I believe) in your car.
That will connect to most BT phones without any other mods. You will still have your cupholders.
If you want to connect to power and outside antenna you will need the cradle kit, but THAT will replace your cupholdes. Your decision.

Technic
07-04-2005, 05:56 PM

Thank you for any help!

... maybe you can install it yourself: http://www.golilm.com/Docs/3SeriesInstallationBluetooth.pdf and http://golilm.com/DIY/Bluetooth

Get your kit for 2001 E46 in here: http://www.advancedautovations.com/e46%20dates.html :thumbup:

Technic
07-04-2005, 05:58 PM
I'm not sure exactly what you are saying. Maybe I don't read so well.

... you are not seeing visions, that's some terrible writing indeed. :confused:

onetech
07-04-2005, 10:05 PM
wow sorry for that i had to read my own post and i still didn't undestand what a hell i was asking sorry about that, ok here is the deal i wanna use my phone in my car don't wanna loose my cupholder but i want to be able to do everything possible with the car know i don't know what my options are how much money i need to spend and whats the best thing to do since is hard to find some information here... not sure how the bluetooth works and if i deside to go that way not sure what i need to get it working can someone explain everything to me and sorry for that i've been doing some research and found nothing or mey be i don't understand what they are talking about... so far i have understand that if i wanna use a phone in my bimmer i have to lose the cup holder and buy a nokia something phone and that will use the existing wirering and a candle sort of staff ....

Technic
07-05-2005, 06:18 AM
wow sorry for that i had to read my own post and i still didn't undestand what a hell i was asking sorry about that, ok here is the deal i wanna use my phone in my car don't wanna loose my cupholder but i want to be able to do everything possible with the car know i don't know what my options are how much money i need to spend and whats the best thing to do since is hard to find some information here... not sure how the bluetooth works and if i deside to go that way not sure what i need to get it working can someone explain everything to me and sorry for that i've been doing some research and found nothing or mey be i don't understand what they are talking about... so far i have understand that if i wanna use a phone in my bimmer i have to lose the cup holder and buy a nokia something phone and that will use the existing wirering and a candle sort of staff ....

onetech... capitalization and punctuation are your friends, bro. :D

You have two phone options in your 03 330i:

1) CPT9000: this is the wired BMW phone based on the Motorola V60i. This kit is being phased out in favor of the Bluetooth system. Because you want to keep your cupholders this kit is not recommended because the phone cradle takes over your cupholders.

2) Bluetooth: You can get the Bluetooth module and not lose your cupholders. This is a wireless connection between your car and your phone. You will have controls of your calls (dialing/answering) thru the steering wheel and radio/Nav buttons or by voice command, and Caller ID in your radio display/Nav screen. You will hear the call thru your radio speakers and talk thru the roof microphone, all while having a BMW approved Bluetooth phone in your pocket or in a briefcase in the trunk.

Click on the links above for DUI installation, parts and features information and cost.

onetech
07-05-2005, 08:20 PM
thenks a lot technic. i was looking at it, and is that the only way 500 dollars seems to be too expensive for what it does. Is there any other way to do it with bluetooth? i was reading in this site something about another universal bluetooth but like i say not sure.

Technic
07-06-2005, 01:57 PM
thenks a lot technic. i was looking at it, and is that the only way 500 dollars seems to be too expensive for what it does. Is there any other way to do it with bluetooth? i was reading in this site something about another universal bluetooth but like i say not sure.

... perhaps you need to contact this person: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103002

Bob Clevenger
07-06-2005, 03:16 PM
thenks a lot technic. i was looking at it, and is that the only way 500 dollars seems to be too expensive for what it does. Is there any other way to do it with bluetooth? i was reading in this site something about another universal bluetooth but like i say not sure. You can use the Parrot CK3100 kit. I have it in my '02 M coupe and it works well. But it's not that much cheaper than the OEM unit.

I personally wouldn't get the CK3000 kit. Even if your current phone won't transfer your phonebook to the BT module, you will probably get a new phone that will before you get a new car. As the Boy Scouts say: "Be prepared."

The OEM unit is definitely the way to go. I have it in my '04 325xiT. The only reason I have the Parrot in my coupe is because there isn't an OEM unit for that car, especially since I have replaced the HU with a Kenwood nav unit. OEM installation will be easier than Parrot installation, too. But neither one is very hard.

Bottom line: both will work and it's your decision to make.