PDA

View Full Version : SMG Help

Ruffbmw
05-31-2005, 05:00 AM
Hello everyone. I'm new to this site and was hoping to get some advice... I just purchased a 2003 M3 with SMG. I prefer driving in "automatic" mode around the city, but the transmission seems kinda "jumpy" in 1st gear... any advice to help smooth it out? Thanks for your help.

Nick325xiT 5spd
05-31-2005, 05:45 AM
Modulate the throttle. If you drive it like an automatic, it will feel awful.

RaceTripper
05-31-2005, 06:52 AM
I don't think the Auto mode is very useful and never use it, even in stop-go traffic. It's much smoother to use Sequential mode and blip the throttle on shifts. You can also use the throttle to smooth out shifts in Auto mode, but I think it's harder to do than when in sequential mode.

topspeed
05-31-2005, 04:00 PM
You probably prefer the auto mode because you're just not used to the SMG yet. It takes a while to get used to it, but once you do I doubt you'll use auto mode except in gridlock. Give your brain time to get acclimated to a new way of driving. The auto mode really is quite bad, even in A5.

Use the paddles.

Pinecone
05-31-2005, 04:39 PM
Jerkiness in 1st has NOTHING to do with SMG, it has to do with poor throttle control.

1) Make sure you are NOT in SPort mode, just makes it worse.

2) When it happens you can either let off totally of floor it.

What is happening is the car reacts so quickly that when you push your foot down, the acceleration lifts your foot reducing power, so you push harder, but by the time you react, the car has slowed, pushing your foot harder on the pedal, justa bout the time when your brain tell it to push harder, starting the whole thing over again.

Learn to be gentle and smooth on the accelerator.

And yes, Auto mode is pretty much worthless. How hard exactly is it to move one of two fingers in traffic to shift in Sequential mode? :)

Jim in Oregon
05-31-2005, 05:15 PM
A lot of people wedge their right foot edge against the carpeting down by the gas pedal, and then "twist" their foot to accelerate. It makes the throttle much easier to regulate. As someone already mentioned.....turn off the sport button.

Ruffbmw
06-13-2005, 05:57 PM
Thanks everyone :)

moneydumper
07-10-2005, 12:39 AM
If you're going to drive in auto, select s1 (granny mode) and it will start in 2nd gear every time. It will be smoother, but a lot slower.

WILLIA///M
07-10-2005, 05:31 AM
What is happening is the car reacts so quickly that when you push your foot down, the acceleration lifts your foot reducing power, so you push harder, but by the time you react, the car has slowed, pushing your foot harder on the pedal, justa bout the time when your brain tell it to push harder, starting the whole thing over again.

Good description. Going over a slight bump can cause it too if it causes your foot to move. It's very subtle.