PDA

View Full Version : Do you get used to the plain interior with the idrive over time ?

AF
06-01-2005, 08:30 AM
I drove a 525 and have been looking at the 530 but I can't beleive how bland the interier looks ... I played with the idrive and had a tough time with it but I would have to think that after time goes by you get used to the idrive.

So for those of you that have one are you used to it ? Do you prefer it ?

Also does the interior look bland to you as well ? ?

Spartacus_33
06-01-2005, 09:18 AM
I drove a 525 and have been looking at the 530 but I can't beleive how bland the interier looks ... I played with the idrive and had a tough time with it but I would have to think that after time goes by you get used to the idrive.

I hear you on the "bland interior" thing. I still think the dash on my E39 looked much better. I also think the dash on the E series MB looks much better. I looked at the E series really hard, mostly because I just didn't like what they did to the E60 dash.

I stopped by my local MB dealership last weekend and brought the salesman a bottle of wine for all his time that he spent with me. I told him, "I really still don't like the straight lines of the dash on the E60....... I do prefer the exterior of the E60 to the E series....but when it all came down to what really counts.... DRIVING :drive: ... there was no comparison."

The MB dealer said, "I knew you were going to be a tough sell. I knew it would probably be impossible to get that BMW DNA out of your blood!"

The I-drive is a piece of cake.

stream
06-01-2005, 10:16 AM
I'll admit I was underwelmed with the styling (interior & exterior) when the E60 was first released, but now I like it a lot--it is very modern. Perhaps the reason you find the dash bland is because of the lack of a zillion buttons--I call it clean design! ;)

I love iDrive, and with voice command, it is wonderful.

Ågent99
06-01-2005, 02:07 PM
I'm with Stream. I never used the word 'bland' to describe the E60 interior but I knew I didn't like it compared to the E39. Actually, I'm still not crazy about the E60 interior but it doesn't really bother me anymore.

The I-Drive has been a pleasure to use (mostly) but it does have hiccups here and there.

wagonman
06-05-2005, 01:00 PM
i personally like the exterior of the e60. that said, from the side it looks to bulky. the front of gorgeous, the back is nice as well. i have no expereince with the interior which is about to change since i pick up my 06 e61 touring on tuesday. we are all very familiar with the critique of the bangle styling. i dont have a problem with it, but i know a lot do. i think at least from photos i have seen that they did a good job with the e39. speaking of styling, i just saw my first 06 lexus gs 430. :thumbdwn: looks like an overgrown egg. the rear end is not distinctive and from teh side this car looks ungainly and oversized. the front is ok. the japanese simply have different taste.. :eek:

BillP
06-05-2005, 03:17 PM
... the japanese simply have different taste.. :eek:

Don't blame the Japanese, many of their cars - including, I believe, the GS430 - were designed in the US. Bangle is an American as well, so I guess we the credit for the bad and the ... uh ... bad.

One might say they are being designed FOR Germany or FOR Japan, but car companies in both nations understand that a huge part of their revenues come from the States, so our tastes are inevitably reflected in both designs.

Bill

wanker
06-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Yes the interior is a bit stark, but that's BMW's philosophy. When you're blasting along the autobahn at 200km/hr you shouldn't be dickering around with your cup holder and CDs. (In fact, those silly cup holders in the dash are No. American add ons.) I'll admit that its seems a bit odd that a Nissan Altima has a nicer interior than your 50K German sedan, but you bought your Bimmer for the way it drives -- which had me sold on the first test drive. Plus I'm a BIG fan of the new styling. I know Chris Bangle bashing is in vogue, but he and his team took the necessary step of updating BMW's design which had been stagnant for 25 years, plus he made the various models actually look different.

As for the I-drive it's really easy. However, the analogy I like to give it that's it's like buying a new cell phone. When you get your car, sit down with the manual and speed 25 minutes learning the system, and you'll be set. When you got a new cell phone, you didn't jump on the freeway and start trying to program your numbers while in traffic. It's the same thing.

Trust me, you'll love your car as will your friends and neighbors. I get compliments all the time. It seems the only detractors are 3 series owner, go figure?

dbansal
06-06-2005, 06:59 PM

After a couple of days, ive become dependent on the idrive. You start to memorize what movements of the cursor take you where, and i must say i like it. Its been knocked on a lot but i like it as opposed to traditional buttons, functions, etc.. After a few hours the i-drive becomes very intuitive and logical. Maybe im having such an easier time because im a computer nerd, but im sure all of you guys can get a hang of it. :thumbup: Also, since the i-drive is coupled with the voice command feature it truly does become a breeze.

TL2E90
06-06-2005, 07:52 PM
After a couple of days, ive become dependent on the idrive. You start to memorize what movements of the cursor take you where, and i must say i like it. Its been knocked on a lot but i like it as opposed to traditional buttons, functions, etc.. After a few hours the i-drive becomes very intuitive and logical. Maybe im having such an easier time because im a computer nerd, but im sure all of you guys can get a hang of it. :thumbup: Also, since the i-drive is coupled with the voice command feature it truly does become a breeze.

Do you have to have navi in order to get i-drive voice command feature?

dbansal
06-06-2005, 08:03 PM
Do you have to have navi in order to get i-drive voice command feature?

Absolutely not, i dont like to use the voice command for navi. Its great for turning your radio on, trip computer, changing stations, phone, communication, etc..

TGray5
06-06-2005, 09:49 PM
Absolutely not, i dont like to use the voice command for navi. Its great for turning your radio on, trip computer, changing stations, phone, communication, etc..

That wasn't his question. The answer is yes, you do have to have NAV otherwise you only get Voice activation for Bluetooth phone.

dbansal
06-06-2005, 09:53 PM
That wasn't his question. The answer is yes, you do have to have NAV otherwise you only get Voice activation for Bluetooth phone.

My apologies... I was assuming

TL2E90
06-07-2005, 09:02 AM
Thanks guys!

speedracerf4i
06-08-2005, 04:24 PM
I really like the interior now. I think choosing the right leather color (Auburn, IMHO) really helped. I still prefer Audi A8's interior interpretations though.

elgordo
07-06-2005, 10:09 PM
My decision to go with the 5 series was based partially on the interior.

After test driving the new MB E350, I couldn't get over how many buttons they crammed into the interior. I could hardly think while driving (same goes for the Infiniti M and Audi A6).

As an example, the other cars included buttons which did not do anything unless the option was actually installed in the car. The E350 had NAV and PHONE buttons which served no purpose unless you had those options? Why?

The differentiating factor in the 5 series interior (that I found) is that it is understated, and actually allows the driver to focus on driving without battling for your attention.

I'm not liking the new fad of representing every possible car option with its own dash button.

anlauf
07-07-2005, 10:49 AM
Most Americans do not like the look for feel of modern interior design....how many people subscribe to DWELL magazine or like minimalist interiors? The Europeans seem to be much more aligned with this minimalist design direction (Bauhaus, etc.....and IKEA started in Sweden you know).

The E60 interior has the look of modern interior design...I love it. It's even better with metal trim instead of the painfully typical dark wood common in 1970 Chryslers.

I understand that my opinion is not consistent with the typical taste of the US consumeer...but I am very glad that BMW has stepped out of the ordinary in the E60 interior.

unit
07-07-2005, 12:32 PM
I personally like the concept of minimizing buttons to clean up the interior. That said, I still am not a fan of the E60 interior.

It baffles me why they put the navigation system DVD drive in the dash and not under the seat or in the trunk. How often does one change this disk?

I hate the strip of plastic above at the bottom of the central control stack where it has only one button (DSC) unless you get the seat heaters, and then you have three. Even then, it looks like ten other buttons belong there. This complicates the look of the dash, and could have been executed better by moving the DSC button to the left side of the steering wheel and the seat heater buttons to the sides of the seats.

The surround for the gear shifter is just grey plastic (or all leather with the stick), and could really use some metal around it to spruce it up (like the Mbz E class).

The plastic area surrounding the CD drive in the dash does not fit well, and looks really cheap.

The rear center armrest looks super hokey when down, and you have that giant black metal latch sticking out near the top. The E90 has the center headrest and armrest as separate pieces and looks better executed.

And my biggest gripe of all is the selection of interior colors that BMW USA has foisted upon us. The choices on the E90 are much more appealing to me.

Overall, I think the E90 interior is done better. It is a little less complicated in appearance, has better feeling materials, has less dark grey plastic on the dash, and the center console has a more sculpted appearance (like the new six-series). The "week 9" modifications this year are a step in the right direction, but I think it still has a way to go.

That said, I absolutely love the exterior of the E60, and think it handles better than anything else I have ever driven. I'm hoping that the mid year facelift focuses on the interior, and does not do much on the outside.