PDA

View Full Version : noticed an issue this morning

RChoudry
06-01-2005, 03:21 PM
when I start the M3 from cold, meaning havent been driven in more than half a day, it won't start on the first try. The engine turns over and there's every noise that tells me it wants to but then it doesn't. A second turn of the key fires the engine up and all is well.

I know the cold start issue was software related and I guess this one might be also.

Anyone else experience this? Car has 600 miles so far.

Nick325xiT 5spd
06-01-2005, 03:24 PM
My car is like this.

RChoudry
06-01-2005, 03:26 PM
any solution/ is it gas brand related?

elbert
06-01-2005, 03:28 PM
My car is like this.

me three

No real solution that I know of, just live with it.

Nick325xiT 5spd
06-01-2005, 03:29 PM
any solution/ is it gas brand related?
Not gas related, and it doesn't bother me, so I don't even think about it.

Pinecone
06-01-2005, 06:58 PM
I don't have that problem.

bren
06-01-2005, 07:29 PM
I have the same issue from time to time. I actually had to turn the key 3 or 4 times the other day before it would start.

zshiek
06-02-2005, 08:57 AM
when I start the M3 from cold, meaning havent been driven in more than half a day, it won't start on the first try. The engine turns over and there's every noise that tells me it wants to but then it doesn't. A second turn of the key fires the engine up and all is well.

I know the cold start issue was software related and I guess this one might be also.

Anyone else experience this? Car has 600 miles so far.
i used to have this issue on my 300ZX.. IT turned out to be the pressue in the gas system after the key is removed. Sometimes you have to crank the car couple of time to build up pressure in the gas system. Have you checked you fuel cap (obvious) and anyway of detecting pressure in the fuel lines after the car is turned off.. SOrry i would give you more information but i just bought my M3 2 weeks ago and havent gotten under the hood yet or did any work on it..

BahnBaum
06-02-2005, 09:11 AM
Mine always starts on the first try. It runs a little rough initially, but it has never failed to start, or cut off after starting.

Alex

jrp
06-02-2005, 11:03 AM
I don't have that problem on either of mine.

Mr. E
06-02-2005, 11:51 AM
No such problem here.

Pinecone
06-02-2005, 05:12 PM
If you are having this problem, try turning the key to position 2 (run, but before start) and wait a couple of seconds nad see if the problem goes away. If so, it is a fuel pressure problem. If not, something else is wrong.

I normally turn the key to position 2, hold the brake, shift to Netral (SMG) then start. Gives teh fuel pump a couple of seconds to pressurize the fuel rail.

But the only time mine doesn't start virtually immediately is when I forget to hold the brake hard enough and the starter doesn't turn. :)

elbert
06-02-2005, 05:50 PM
If you are having this problem, try turning the key to position 2 (run, but before start) and wait a couple of seconds nad see if the problem goes away. If so, it is a fuel pressure problem. If not, something else is wrong.

I normally turn the key to position 2, hold the brake, shift to Netral (SMG) then start. Gives teh fuel pump a couple of seconds to pressurize the fuel rail.

I do that routine, and it will still occassionally hesitate on start up. It always will fire up immediately on the second try, though. :dunno:

Ara7
06-08-2005, 06:03 PM
No problem for me.

Ara :)

dawgbone
06-09-2005, 12:50 PM
I fully believe that it has to do with high compression...As well as waiting for the fuel pump to pressurize and regulate the pressure in the fuel rail..I drive mine daily and have no problem with it..But if it sits up for more than a couple days, then I'll get the studder...