PDA

View Full Version : Dealer wanted to charge $535 to replace a damaged tire.

Lori
06-01-2005, 07:36 PM
I had a nail in my Michelin Pilot Sport so I went to the dealer to get it fixed. The nail was in the center of the tire tread. The service advisor informed me that the tire was non-repairable and would cost $535 for a new one to be installed. Is this excessive?

Nick325xiT 5spd
06-01-2005, 07:40 PM
That's a $250+ profit. Call Sam at Radial Tire. 301-585-2740.

Tell him Nick sent you. Sadly, I don't get anything, but you might get a better price.

Pinecone
06-01-2005, 07:58 PM
Center of tread is probably repairable. Problem comes with there is any sidewall damage. A good shop (and Radial is a good shop) will use a plug-patch combo thing that will keep a reasonable speed rating.

BTW, check here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Michelin&model=Pilot+Sport

Plus shipping and $20 mounting and balancing and you have a new tire.

Lori
06-01-2005, 08:18 PM
My SA told me that the integrity of the tire would be compromised with a repair. I believe him but at the speed I drive :dunno: . As it turns out, I finally pulled the nail out just to see if there was a leak or not. Guess what. The nail was only 1/4 inch long and didn't puncture the tire. I guess I'm glad that they didn't offer me one at a reasonable price. Dumb luck, instant dealer karma, a little of both perhaps?

Nick325xiT 5spd
06-02-2005, 08:44 AM
My SA told me that the integrity of the tire would be compromised with a repair. I believe him but at the speed I drive :dunno: . As it turns out, I finally pulled the nail out just to see if there was a leak or not. Guess what. The nail was only 1/4 inch long and didn't puncture the tire. I guess I'm glad that they didn't offer me one at a reasonable price. Dumb luck, instant dealer karma, a little of both perhaps?
I've got a repaired racing compound tire. :p

Theoretically, you don't want to drive up to the speed limit of a repaired tire. But unless you're cruising on the highway at speeds in excess of 120MPH, it just isn't a concern.

Pinecone
06-02-2005, 06:13 PM
I've got a repaired racing compound tire. :p

Theoretically, you don't want to drive up to the speed limit of a repaired tire. But unless you're cruising on the highway at speeds in excess of 120MPH, it just isn't a concern.

Well Nick, that let's you out of having repaired tires. :)

Mr. The Edge
06-02-2005, 06:19 PM
As it turns out, I finally pulled the nail out just to see if there was a leak or not.

why didn't you just check your tire pressure to see if there was a leak?

Lori
06-02-2005, 07:41 PM
why didn't you just check your tire pressure to see if there was a leak?

Because I thought the nail might be acting as a temporary plug thus preventing a fast leak. I didn't want to pull the nail without having a plan for repair. If I would of pulled the nail or if the nail threw itself while driving and the tire went flat then I would have been forced to call roadside assistance for a lift to the dealer who didn't have a tire and who would of charged me $535 for a new one and kept my car for a week. F-that. I'de rather be at the shop with a new tire ready to go on at the moment of nail extraction.

Mr. The Edge
06-02-2005, 07:58 PM
Because I thought the nail might be acting as a temporary plug thus preventing a fast leak. I didn't want to pull the nail without having a plan for repair. If I would of pulled the nail or if the nail threw itself while driving and the tire went flat then I would have been forced to call roadside assistance for a lift to the dealer who didn't have a tire and who would of charged me $535 for a new one and kept my car for a week. F-that. I'de rather be at the shop with a new tire ready to go on at the moment of nail extraction.

:confused:

...except that you did pull the nail without a plan for repair

:dunno:

Lori
06-02-2005, 08:16 PM
:confused:

...except that you did pull the nail without a plan for repair

:dunno:

Nope, I found a guy who offered to repair the tire for $23. He had the most up to date equipment and he allowed me to drive my car into the service bay and position it above the lift while I pulled the nail out. The car was actually in a service bay at a tire shop when I extracted the nail. I tipped the technician and everyone was happy.

Mr. The Edge
06-02-2005, 08:20 PM
Nope, I found a guy who offered to repair the tire for $23. He had the most up to date equipment and he allowed me to drive my car into the service bay and position it above the lift while I pulled the nail out. The car was actually in a service bay at a tire shop when I extracted the nail. I tipped the technician and everyone was happy.
you found a guy, drove there, had it fixed, and returned home all between your first post and second post? (42 minutes)

all of which occurred after 9:30 pm?

???

Lori
06-02-2005, 08:28 PM
No, I went to the dealer and found out about the $535 tire replacement charge and that they didn't have one, became frustrated then called the tire shop, drove to the tire shop, extracted the nail and then I posted the thread about the dealer wanting to charge me $535 for a replacement tire. I recieved a couple replys to that and went on to elaborate on the outcome of the entire event.

Lori
06-02-2005, 09:01 PM
That's a $250+ profit. Call Sam at Radial Tire. 301-585-2740.

Tell him Nick sent you. Sadly, I don't get anything, but you might get a better price.
Thanks Nick,
I think I'll pick up a spare for emergencies.

mtbscott
06-06-2005, 02:41 PM
I just found a nail in one of my rear tires last week. A trip to Discount Tire decided it was too close to the sidewall for longterm repair, so a new Kumho was ordered at pro-rated cost of $67. The tech did patch my tire but told me that because of where it was, it might flex and leak again...On the other hand, I have had numerous other flats patched/plugged in the past and have never had a problem with one post-repair. I just don't buy into the idea that the safety/function of a modern tire is forever compromised by a properly repaired tiny hole.

99flhr
07-01-2005, 12:07 PM
I just found a nail in one of my rear tires last week. A trip to Discount Tire decided it was too close to the sidewall for longterm repair, so a new Kumho was ordered at pro-rated cost of $67. The tech did patch my tire but told me that because of where it was, it might flex and leak again...On the other hand, I have had numerous other flats patched/plugged in the past and have never had a problem with one post-repair. I just don't buy into the idea that the safety/function of a modern tire is forever compromised by a properly repaired tiny hole.

I`ve personally (25 years ago) repaired hundreds of tires using the plug and internal patch method. Works just fine. :thumbup:

dawgbone
07-01-2005, 12:55 PM
Being that there is no spare...I carry a plug kit, just for occasions as such...

I replaced both rears(Conti 19's), mounted and balanced at my dealership for less than $750....I don't understand the $535 for one...unless ZCP or MPS has something to do with it..

dawgbone
07-01-2005, 01:01 PM
I`ve personally (25 years ago) repaired hundreds of tires using the plug and internal patch method. Works just fine. :thumbup:

I just couldn't feel comfortable knowing that I have a plug/patch in a tire...especially with this heavy beast..

jrp
07-01-2005, 02:58 PM
I just couldn't feel comfortable knowing that I have a plug/patch in a tire...especially with this heavy beast..
Yup...I'd rather spend ~$300 (or double that to go ahead and replace the tire on the other side as well). No use in gambling and finding out that I had a bad repair job after bouncing the car off a concrete barrier.

Stuka
07-01-2005, 03:15 PM
Yup...I'd rather spend ~$300 (or double that to go ahead and replace the tire on the other side as well). No use in gambling and finding out that I had a bad repair job after bouncing the car off a concrete barrier.

In .de, it is illegal to repair W, Y, and Z rated tires. And if you get a busted one of those, both tiers on the axle have to go. :thumbup:

I go by that rule, beacuse I figure that the TUV probably know a thing or two about safe high speed motoring, much more so than TireRack or NHTSA can ever hope to. :thumbup:

When I had the nail magnet I called the E46 M3, I had to chuck 2 perfectly good tires because once I got a nail in the front, and once in the rear. But my peace of mind at the imaginary speed that I drive is worth a lot more than $450 (mine came with Conti's). :bigpimp:

Riuster
07-08-2005, 02:38 PM
I had 5 flat tire incidents due to nails and screws, and what I did was just buy the plug kit with vulcanizing patches, and I just plugged mine, and after the life of the tire, I had no issues.

Even with speeds of up to 120mph here and there...I had no issues. Others recommend not to do this, but since its vulcanizing strips and the hole is not large at all, the hole is sealed and the vulcanizing strips bonds with the tire rubber, thus becoming permanent.

this costs me only 12 dollars for the kit.

Lori
07-08-2005, 09:59 PM
Do you have to take the tire off the wheel still or can you patch the tire from the outside? Where is the kit sold?