Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > QSilver7

Conversation Between QSilver7 and RBS007
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 7 of 7
  1. RBS007
    11-26-2009 01:24 PM
    RBS007
    ok thanks again !!!!
  2. RBS007
    11-23-2009 09:32 AM
    RBS007
    Hi Q
    Thanks for the advice, as for the A/C unit when the car if off its doesnt blow any air ( no fan running ). Only when the car is running that it will sometimes come on without me hitting any buttons. I guess it's something I should get looked at but as I had mentioned it wasnt a big concern.
    I am thinking its the little fan you mention because when I didnt drive the car for about four to five days I found the battery dead. Would buying a new A/C panel for the car solve this problem or is it something more I should get looking at ? I see on ebay I can pick one up for about 130.00
    Thanks again Robert
  3. RBS007
    11-22-2009 01:25 PM
    RBS007
    Hi Q
    Need your advice again lol. I noticed after I turned the car off and was cleaning the inside I think I hear a fan going on and off ever so slightly ???? My A/C has been acting up where it will come on or off intermittently when the car is on and I have been able to live with it. This sound is so faint I really wasn't sure if it was coming from the car ????? but I belive it is. Any ideas ????? or fixes ???
    Thanks again
    Robert
  4. RBS007
    09-28-2009 04:38 PM
    RBS007
    Hi Q Thanks again for your help just wanted to get your thoughts on this issue. Most of my pixels are out in my cluster and its something I have wanted to get fixed for some time. BMW Canada doesnt offer the fix program that the US has, so its all out of my wallet. I have found a local guy who has a nice web site and that I spoke to who will fix the cluster for $220.00 and have it done in a day or two. He wants me to remove it from the car and then he will work on it. First is it hard to remove I am not machanical at all. Second does this price sound too cheap ??? and what are the dangers if any of an indy guy doing this ??? Thanks Robert
  5. RBS007
    09-21-2009 02:59 PM
    RBS007
    Hi Q
    Thanks for your help, wanted your advice on my driver side door lock. When I use my keyless remote the lock comes up really slow and sometimes I have to press twice to open all the doors. Same when I lock the car sometimes it goes down and sometimes it doesnt. I find if I press the keyless a few times it will finaly open or close. Someone mentioned that I might need a "Door Lock Actuator" I am not sure what that is but I see I can buy one for about $80.00 or do you think it is a motor. Is this something I can fix or at least buy the part to get my indy to fix it. Any advice would be great !!!!
    Cheers Robert
  6. QSilver7
    09-12-2009 03:30 PM
    QSilver7
    Hi Robert....if you've UNLOCKED your OBC...you can do TEST #9 to check either the battery (ignition in position 1 or 2 engine NOT running) or the alternator (engine running) if you don't have any other tool to measure voltage. To unlock your OBC you have to use the two buttons on the instrument cluster PLUS know the sum of the last 5 digits of your car's VIN...this sum will be the number you enter when you go to TEST #19 which is the test to lock or unlock the OBC.

You could also drive your car to a place like AutoZone, Advance Auto, Pep Boys, Batteries Plus etc...where they have machines they can hook up to your car and check you car's alternator & battery to see if it can hold a charge. The battery should consistenly be between 11.8volt - 12.5 volts...because at 11.89 volts the battery is at 0% state of charge. This means that the car may be dipping into RC (reserve capacity)...and if the battery is below that, it may not even start the car...especially if the battery dips below 11.2 volts.

Again, if you OBC was unlocked, you can quickly do TEST #9 before you attempt to start the car to see what the battery voltage is or even if you get into a no start situation again.

My battery recommendation is any reputable dealer that sells a class size 49 or 95 battery. If you don't have any large electrical loads for added equipment like subwoofers and amps...or DVD players and extra monitors...you could save some money and get something like a Duralast 49DL from AutoZone (if they are in your area and you're in the USA). If you require extra electrical uumph...then go for a 95 class size battery which you can find from vendors like Battery Plus...or your BMW dealership (these batteries cost more money).

Q
  7. RBS007
    09-12-2009 06:54 AM
    RBS007
    Hi Q
    Quick question for you I had my alternator recently replaced and the car has been sitting for a week when I went to start it the batter was dead. I hooked up jumpers and got her going pretty fast. The car sat for another week and same problem. Is there any way I can see if it is a battery problem or alternator ???? Someone mentioned I can run a test in the car to see what the voltage is ???? If it is a dead battery what brand do you recomend ( 2001 540i ) Cheers Robert