Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > golforcars325i

Conversation Between golforcars325i and iskoos
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 3 of 3
  1. golforcars325i
    11-27-2009 10:09 PM
    golforcars325i
    I ended up buying a new t-stat to be safe. When it actually came to removing the tank, I ended up hammering a 2x4 into it from underneath and it popped right off. Fortunately my neighbor has a lift, so it was easy to do!
  2. iskoos
    11-25-2009 10:59 AM
    iskoos
    Hey Mike,

Sorry I have just seen your post. This expansion tank removal is generally a pita. I heard maybe only 1 out of 10 that did remove it without having any issue. There is not much room to wiggle it. You need to pull it up and the thing does NOT want to listen to you. Smolck told me to hammer it from bottom. I was hesitant at first but then had no other option left. I hammered it hard. I used a metal socket head extention to reach to the bottom of the tank. Hammering hard a few times lifted the tank maybe 2/10 of an inch and this was enough for me to insert a flathead screw driver between the bottom of the expansion tank and the radiator. And from there, I pryed it out... When it moved up almost 1/4 of an inch, I slowly wiggled it till it poped out. I believe most of the poeple break it right at this stage while they wiggle it way too much. They break the top of the tranny t-stat(the plastic part). My patience and determination paid it off I guess. I hope you don't break yours as well. But if you do, don't feel so bad. Another $60 will fix it. Good luck and sorry for the late reply...
  3. golforcars325i
    11-05-2009 06:54 PM
    golforcars325i
    I saw in your post on the Expansion Tank, that the t-stat for the tranny often breaks. What is it about the removal of the Expansion Tank that causes that? Is it simply being aware of 'where' it is and being somewhat gentle with the removal? I'm going to be changing my tank in the next week, and if I can save the $60, I'm all for it!

Thanks,
    Mike