BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Rough Shifting Transmission Problem

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  CT BMW Boy 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2003 745Li, my first BMW. Everything about the car seems to be in mint condition except the transmission. I know these cars have transmission problems, but I bought the car at really good price... I’ve searched the posts here and not seen a problem exactly like mine so I figured I’d ask. When the car is in normal DSC mode there frequently is a rough shift, sometimes felt as a strong bump, when the transmission shifts after having gone through a brake, then coast, then accelerate sequence, such as in slow traffic. It seems to happen more between 1st and 2nd, but has happened in higher gears. In addition, at times the transmission seems to shift less smoothly than it could. Also, when slowing down, the transmission seems to downshift sooner than is should, making the car want to lurch forward. When I turn on the DTC the issue seems reduced to the point of being barely noticeable. The car also shifts more smoothly in manual mode too. All fluid levels seem correct. To me, it seems more like a problem with either the DSC program and/or the sensors than an actual mechanical problem with the transmission (many times the transmission shifts through the gears smooth as silk). Has anyone encountered this type of a problem or heard about a successful resolution to this type of problem? Thanks in advance for your replies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.