BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Just bought a 540iT - Didn't come with Service History - How to Get??

Tags
540it
4K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  DONROD 
#1 ·
This is my first post here, glad to be here.

I recently purchased a 1999 BMW 540iT with 162k and a bad tranny. I took a chance (big) on buying it and am in the process of having my mechanic install another tranny. That process is underway, but I have a couple of questions for the members here.

1. Is there anyway obtain service records for the vehicle so I can begin them myself?
  2. Will a Carfax provide any info?
  3. Can a BMW service center/dealer pull service records from other BMW service centers/dealers?

The car is not a salvage title and is in good condition other than the tranny and a few other small issues such driver and passenger window regulators being out.

Any advice you can provide on the service history questions would be appreciated. Thank you.

#2 · (Edited)
1. Find the previous owner and ask, if he turns up dry, you'll have to make records from your ownership on at the least.
2. Carfax isn't going to help much at all. Ex. "Suspension Checked" really doesn't say jack about what was really serviced, and thats IF it was even reported.
3. Depends on the dealer... BMW feels it's none of our biz to even LOOK at that infomation. The most info you will get out of the dealer will be that of the first owner and sometimes the second.

I was somewhat in your same situation with my 5, my cars PO wasn't usefull at all so I just started a blank slate and recorded all my repairs from the day I got it to now.

#3 ·
I was somewhat in your same situation with my 5, my cars PO wasn't useful at all so I just started a blank slate and recorded all my repairs from the day I got it to now.
Great to know someone has been through something similar before.

1. Find the previous owner and ask, if he turns up dry, you'll have to make records from your ownership on at the least.
I've asked, but the previous PO owned the car for a short time (since 4/12) and doesn't have any info. He purchased it from a wholesale auction.

Depends on the dealer...BMW feels it's none of our biz to even LOOK at that information. The most info you will get out of the dealer will be that of the first owner and sometimes the second.
I'll check that out to see if they can offer any info. If the dealer can't provide any info, I'll have to start a file from the time I've owned it on.

#4 · (Edited)
Whilst the car is in the shop, get the cooling system overhauled, since you don't know when it was last done.

Carfax can let you know where the car was registered by the POs. You can write to those states' DMVs for the records on the car. You may be able to find their addresses, and contact them for maintenance info. That's how I found my PO.

You probably didn't get the owner's manuals and zipper pouch, nor all four keys. You could ask them if they still have them.

Dealers have no vested interest in giving you the service info.

#5 ·
Four keys. Heck no. I got 1. Bummer, I'm sure those keys aren't cheap.

As for the cooling system, it'll go on my revive list. Getting the tranny done is costing a pretty penny. What priority would give cooling system serviced?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App

#9 ·
When I bought my E39, still under warranty, the dealer printed out the entire service history for me, and just handed it to me, without redacting anything.

The codes you get on that printout are shown here:
- BMW_Service_History_Explanation_of_Dealer_Defect_Codes.pdf

But, I never did remove the rear seat so I assume the original options list is still hiding there.

To help the OP gather information from what he has available, I typed /dealer service record F3 in the bestlinks which came up with this:
- BMW 10-character vehicle defect code lookup tool for dealer service records (1) & how to better understand your 17-character BMW VIN (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) and online BMW VIN decoders (0) (1) (2) (3) (4)

What priority would give cooling system serviced?
See this thread for why it should be #1 on your list:
- Pictorial look at typical E39 cooling system failure modes (1)

See also when it was last replaced:
- Cooling system date stickers & radiator date codes & markings (1) (2)

$200 is in line with what I thought they would cost.
To help with key information, I typed /key F3 into the bestinks to find this for the OP:
- A description of the various types of BMW Remote, Illuminated, Spare/Wallet, & Valet/Service keys (1) (2) & a list of diamond key EWS, FZV, & DWA functions (1) (2) & all about the 10-key limit to programming your own keys at home (1) & a description of the ignition key ISN (individual serial number) ten-second rule (1) & what to do if you lost your only diamond key (1) or what to do if your BMW key was stolen (1)

#12 ·
I'm going to go a bit out of line, but service records are overrated if you are a DIYer. You will pay a premium for a car with records that still need to fix stuff. Plus, you bought the car with no records, why care now? I think you commented in another thread that your car car is in the 170k in miles? Something replaced at 60k will likely need to be replaced again anyways. Most of the e39's failings are 60-100k mile repairs which is obligatory repairs every 2-6 years depending on how much you drive. Not to mention the countless parts that fail with age or just fail to fail. So, if you want piece of mind, start replacing parts. If you do not want to throw parts at a car (which I don't blame you), drive it for a bit and get to know its quirks and start your own inspection regime for ailing parts.

Welcome to the club! :)

#14 ·
I'm going to go a bit out of line, but service records are overrated if you are a DIYer. You will pay a premium for a car with records that still need to fix stuff. Plus, you bought the car with no records, why care now?
For piece of mind. The records may give me a picture of the previous PO's upkeep on the vehicle. Additionally, it will allow me to make an educated decision about the priority of certain repairs. IMO, and experience with other vehicles, service records can be helpful to the intrepid DIY'er.

I think you commented in another thread that your car is in the 170k in miles?
Sorry wasn't me. This is my first thread on this forum or any BMW forum. This 540iT is my first BMW.

If you do not want to throw parts at a car (which I don't blame you), drive it for a bit and get to know its quirks and start your own inspection regime for ailing parts.
After the tranny is done I think this is what I'll do first.

Welcome to the club! :)
Why thank you!

#16 ·
After filling out some paperwork and proving that I am the current owner of my car, the dealer released the service records to me. Luckily mine had been serviced by the same dealer for its entire life, and has 194,000 miles now. As the original dealer is about 200 miles from me, I asked the local bmw dealer if they could pull the records, but they were only able to see what had been done under warranty, so I would guess you will have to go to the dealer that originally sold the car to find the full report.;

#19 ·
I called and talked to my local dealer but they didn't have much in the way of information. There was a total of 5 or 6 items on the repair list which was from back in 2000-2001 timeframe. Things like replacing a tail light, 1 oil change and a couple of other small items. Nothing heavy like a tranny overhaul, etc.

Next step is to get with DMV to find previous PO and attempt to contact them for info.

#18 ·
:rofl::rofl:

#21 ·
I called and talked to my local dealer but they didn't have much in the way of information. There was a total of 5 or 6 items on the repair list which was from back in 2000-2001 timeframe. Things like replacing a tail light, 1 oil change and a couple of other small items. Nothing heavy like a tranny overhaul, etc.
Congrats on your purchase, and your quest. Question on the list -- was this a complete printout? Did it have things like all the option codes, MSRP paid, etc. and so forth? Any BMW dealer should have access.

Makes sense that there wasn't any major work listed -- after all, tranny doesn't usually fail in year one, two or three. But since "free" maintenance is included, usually new owners run back to the dealer every time they hear a new squeak.

If the above doesn't sound like what you received, I know someone who might get it for you. See the list for my M5 attached.

Attachments

#22 ·
Congrats on your purchase, and your quest...
If the above doesn't sound like what you received, I know someone who might get it for you. See the list for my M5 attached.
Thanks Edgy. I appreciate it.

I've got my new transmission (used) installed but I'm having problems. It still read trans failsafe prog, and the engine (light) is on. I used an actron code reader to get the code which is P1748 which is Transmission Control Module Self Test which looks to be related to the "trans prog failsafe" error.

Here are the symtoms:
  1. It goes into P, R, D, M, but the dash indicator lights don't show those positions.
  2. It drives in reverse, and very, very slow in drive which I already know if limp mode.
  3. With the engine OFF, but the key turned to just before cranking the motor, I can shift the tranny into P, R, D, M and the lights on the dash DO show the position.

My question is what tool can reset the Trans Failsafe Prog error? I've searched the forum for answers, but the threads are deep and none that I've found so far, say definitively which tool resets the Trans Failsafe Prog. Any ideas?

#23 ·
Similar issues

I bought a 540it last month; didn't care too much about the service history, just talked to the prior owner and I knew a lot of work needed to be done (I own another e39). The prior owner had an indy who did his work for him, and I talked to the guy, but now that I have the car I can see he was something of a hack mechanic.

I had the head gaskets and valley pan done by my local mechanic, along with the radiator and expansion tank, right after I bought the car. I then jumped into a bunch of stuff (wheels and tires, aspheric mirrors, euro armrest, bimmian angel eyes, wiper blades, polished the lenses, swapped out the broken cup holders, replaced the grungy tray below the cup holders, fixed the broken fog lamp, etc.) I've got a TCU, microphone and bluetooth antenna for a retrofit on the way, bought the bushings for my rear subframe, and am thinking about protection (V1 and LI, perhaps).

Does anyone have access to the software to get at the dealer codes? I hate the auto door locking thing and my airbag light is on from my cleanup of the steering wheel stereo controls (I accidently turned the key too far when unlocking the steering wheel to reorient it while working with the airbag out).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.