BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Was Safelite Deceptive?...

9K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  laser 
#1 ·
I just had my 2011 328 sedan windshield replaced by Safelite through my insurance due to a nasty crack...
I specifically asked for "BMW" glass when talking to the Safelite SA...

As the technician was finishing up, I noticed a "blue" tinted zone at the top that I thought I had never seen before, almost like the tinted glass you used to get in the '70's and '80's when you bought a new car with the "air conditioner option," back when AC was optional...

When questioned, the technician said that the old (factory original) windshield had the same "blue zone" at the top, that I probably just didn't notice it...

I know I could have demanded to look in the truck to confirm this, but I didn't want to get into a confrontational situation while the guy was in midst of putting my baby back together...
Now I'm thinking that maybe I'm "disremembering" not having a blue strip on the original windshield...

New glass says "Pinkerton" and has a small black "BMW" emblem in black above it...

Keep staring at the car, can't decide if it looks right, or if that's the way it always looked (with blue zone on windshield against space gray car)...
Am I going crazy?...

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm no expert, but it sounds about right. I have Pinkerton glass on my e90. Can't recall the blue tint, but will check on it when I leave the office.

#4 · (Edited)
they actually gave you the upgraded windshield. the green tint banded ones are solar reflective. bmw decontented to a plain glass windshield with no tint band late 2009.

my 07 had a tint band. my 2010 does not.

msrp:
no tint band: 373
grey tint band (not reflective) 450
green tint band (reflective) 570

#5 ·
My early-2009 has the shaded area at the top. Many people of late have been complaining that newer BMWs no longer have the shaded section.

#18 ·
Allstate in CA will cover 100% of glass repair for a chip. For a replacement I just have to pay my deductable. At least that's how my policy is, and I don't have anything extra to cover glass.

#22 · (Edited)
A minor correction, the manufacturer's name of oem BMW glass is Pilkington, not Pinkerton.
If you're ever in Poland you could be run off the road by dozens of Pilkington tractor trailers highballing southwest for Germany. Either the glass must be made in Poland (they're good at glass) or it's coming in through Gdansk.

#24 ·
Any thoughts on BMW lease and replacement glass?

My chip/crack is too big and I have a lease. The replacement glass is $400, the dealer wants $1900. My deductible is high, so I would rather just replace the glass with Safelite, or the company my insurance sent me to. I'm just concerned that I will have to replace it again at lease end if I do it "wrong".

#25 · (Edited)
Your lease turn-in requirements (read your lease contract) may require BMW approved glass. Safelite should offer this. Same with the tires...they may have to be "BMW approved" tires, but various dealers apply various "hard ass" restrictions depending on IF you are rolling into another car with them.

I turned in a E92 lease with about $800 fender damage that was "waived," as well as a lost key fob ($250), after a LONG series of negotiations with multiple LA area dealers. A dealer's willingness to "make the deal," often wins out...I turned down two other offers. Big advantage to having multiple dealers in a small selling area, but the BIGGEST advantage is that you'll buy a car from the dealership.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.