BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Does the 5 GT feel big

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  magnumforc 
#1 ·
This is my first car that is longer than 192 inches. I prefer smaller cars but I like cars that are appreciated by a smaller population. I come from a E60 ( 2006 5 series touring), will there be a big difference in terms of handling , city/highway driving parking etc? Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
I owned a F07 550i equipped w/sport/adaptive suspension and 20" wheels for a year and drove it almost 20K miles.
I traded an E93 335i 6MT for my GT. Prior to my E93 I owned a E39Touring for a number of years. I traded the GT for my M3.

I will never forget my first impressions of my 550i GT:
- WOW - this thing is HUGE
- this is the most comfortable car I have ever driven
- gorgeous interior
- Euro inspired exterior that looks like no other

I too prefer smaller cars, but I purchased my GT for my family. When I was drove my GT home the first night through rain and major construction zones, I thought, this was a HUGE mistake - literally. As the weather and road conditions deteriorated I found myself gaining confidence - the GT maybe large, but amazingly, the GT drives small. During my year of ownership, I frequently drove my GT in the mountains of WVA and Western MD - the GT's adaptive sport suspension inspired confidence. In general, I always found the GT to be an engaging ride in terms of both power and handling given its size - realizing the GT is not a sports car. (BTW - my GT had standard hydraulic steering which was very tactile and communicative).

Parking? - I live in the DC area - parking sensors made it easy, but you are not going to fit a GT into a space sized for a Mini. Remember, the GT is seven series architecture.

You like cars "appreciated by a smaller population" - you march to a different drummer....
well, you have found your new home. I always contended that the GT is for people who are independent minded and not ruled by the opinion of others. The opinion of many 'festers tends to be predictable, reflexive, and often uninformed. In the wild, my GT engendered frequent positive comments and thumbs up. Indeed, kids asked my permission if they could take a pic. The GT has road presence. At times I felt I was driving a BMW exotic.

The GT is a unique offering, unlike any other. The GT engenders passion - for those who are swayed by the GT's charms - there are few alternatives.

#11 ·
+1000000:bow::bow::beerchug:

#3 ·
i just love it when capo preaches the unique qualities of the GT.

i test drove the gt a dozen times specifically to determine how big it would drive.. coming off of an X5 its actually 4" longer but drives and feels much smaller.. the adaptive steering makes the car noticeably more nimble both in high speed traffic weaving or in slow around town errand running. i find parking it easier then the x5 due to the 4 wheel steering.. Don't get me wrong I'm not ever confused thinking I'm in my 911 but you certainly could forget your in a 7 series sized auto and think your back in a 335...

BMW nor any other car dealer has offered such a true "crossover" auto. the luxury and interior comfort of a 7, the handling of a 5 and the cargo area of an x5...

I have gone back to my dealer twice since my car went into production to take the managers car for a day just to keep me sane while i wait for mine to arrive. another 7-10 days and I'm sure ill be back on the site preaching my own first hand feelings of the car...

#4 ·
Thanks Capo and mpress. This is a great forum because of guys like you. I bought the car for the people who will be sitting at the back- my parents and my college kids.

#5 ·
I bought also my car for my kids who are taller than 1.8 m. Coming from a Mercedes Class E there is even more space in the back.
With the adaptative drive, although the car is longer than the Mercedes, the turning radius is about the same. The visibility in front and in the back is a bit worst that the Mercedes but with parking sensors and rear camera it is quite easy to drive around town.

#8 ·
I bought also my car for my kids who are taller than 1.8 m. Coming from a Mercedes Class E there is even more space in the back....
I was also considering the E class station wagon. My understanding is that there are more leg room for rear passenger. Did you mean the trunk space?

#6 ·
well then you are a much nicer person then most... your parents and kids are very lucky..my 19 and 16 year old daughters both LOVED the back seat when they came with me for one of the test drives. GT also has 2 power outlets for the back seat so they both can have their phones powered and text their hearts out while back there.

i had my dealers managers GT for a weekend back in dec while my older daughter was home from college and i drove her and a friend into NYC.. the two of them had the window shades up the seats back and you would have thought they were corporate presidents driving in for work.. all i needed was a white shirt black tie and a drivers cap to complete the picture..

my car service that i take to the airport often sends a 750 iL and i can tell you the GT is MORE comfortable in the back.

#7 ·
The only comments I can add is that in spirited handling the GT has very limited weight transfer making it feel much smaller and tight handling. It does not lean and corners flat. The active technology does the job. In order to get similar handling in the past I used lower springs, polyurethane bushings, and big roll bars.... consequently the everyday usage suffered with the hard ride. The GT just rides so smoothly and handles so well - a paradox.

#9 ·
Keep in mind that in the GT, the seatbacks recline and the seat itself can move front/back as well. Then, consider that there's a huge amount of room up front, so a little consideration from up there, and you can get a lot of room for the rear passengers. Great for two, not so great for three, but most cars are lousy for three in the back anyways. Now, if you could buy it in the USA without the panoramic sunroof, you wouldn't have to deal with the dished out roof liner, and if you're tall, that can make a difference, but legroom, not a problem.

#12 ·
The GT is so unique that once you get used to the size, as well as a few "blind spots" which are well handled by the camera system option, it's hard to get used to a smaller vehicle.

It does everything so well. I've hauled 8 foot long molding pieces from the Home Depot while reflooring the kitchen (yes, they slide right up alongside the console!) and filled up the hatchback with everything from bags of bark chips to suitcases and boxes. All while riding in traditional BMW comfort and handling.

A wonderful vehicle. We have two. Like certain potato chips, one just wasn't enough!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.