BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Brakes for an 2008 328XI

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  somedude81 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I had my front brakes, rotors & sensors replaced in April and the guy who did them did not either put the sensor in correctly or did not reset the system. I looked online how to change the notification via the internet and it still shows it is overdue for brakes.

Now on to my dilemma. I need to replace the rears, my godfather looked at them and said the rotors are fine and the pads are the only thing that needs to be replaced. However, I was told (please note I am a woman so I am unsure if this was just a way to try to pad their pockets) that every time you replace your brakes you MUST replace you rotors at the same time.... Is this accurate?

What/where and what kind of pads should I purchase? I am tired of being jerked around on price and I refuse to overpay at BMW! Please let me know, I would greatly apprecaite it :)

Also any recommendations on where to get this done in the Seattle/Eastside area?

Thanks!!

#2 · (Edited)
It's not good practice to gauge rotor life from just visual inspection. They need to be measured with a micrometer. The minimum rotor thickness is stamped some where on the rotor hat.

You should replace pads and rotors as sets. Even if you have a few mm left on the rotor, you will most likely have to swap that out when your pads aren't fully worn. This doubles labor costs in the long run. It also posses a safety hazard as there is no wear indicator on the rotor. If the thickness becomes out of spec, your brakes could fail. I wouldn't risk that...

You can expect to pay around $500-600 on quality, parts....pads, rotors, and wear sensors, front and rear. And of course, labor costs. Shouldn't be more than 2-3 hours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.