BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How to pick accommodations for flexible travel plan?

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  nirvanaor 
#1 ·
I am planning to pick my car mid-March in Munich.
Since my travel plan depends on the weather my itinerary has
to be flexibke so I don't think I will have booked any hotel beyond
the first night.

What is a good strategy to pick (local) hotels along the way?
Do I need to get a list with prices first or do I just drop in
and inquiry inside the hotel regarding the rate and availability?
I would assume if I have to do that I would have to
spend some time searching for accommodation every night.
I prefer local hotels and/or BB style of accommodations.

What would you do in that case?
Thanks.

#2 ·
yea, I'm doing the same thing from Apr.6-11. From what friends tell me who've done a similar style trip, expect 40-50 euros per night in basic and clean accomodations in small towns along the way in S.Germany and Austria, more than 50 euros in the cities and expensive countries like Swizterland.

#5 ·
Look for the "Green Guide" by Michelen (an while your at it look for the red Guide for good eats). These guides list hotels and inns by region/city including price and contact information. IIRC, Michelen includes rating system to see if you're getting a good value. Armed with one of these and a cell phone, you turn it into the ultimate spontaneaous vacation. I've done it several times and its the only way to travel.

That said, if you have any "must see" locations on your list, I'd double check that area's event calender and if things may look busy (trade shows, festivels, sporting events, etc) you'd be better off pre-booking that location or be flexible.

#7 ·
For Germany I tookRick Steves travel guide which enlists hotels along with rates and phone numbers .Also in Fussen (border of Germany and Austria) I just went to a shop and asked the owner if he knew someone who rents out a place .Luckily got a zimmer(room) for 20 euros per night including breakfast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.