BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Which Battery charger to buy

4K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Mcbeee 
#1 ·
Ron Stygar and others once suggested a good battery charger, but for the life of me I can't find the post..... was it the CTEK?

thanks

#3 ·
From DWM (Daniel)

http://www.ctek.com/EN-US/eLearningUS/Default.aspx

http://www.ctek.com/Manuals/new_US7002_EN.pdf

When charged in normal it draws .03 ampere.
Battery Tender draws .06 ampere.

I added a aluminum plate on the bottom of the CTEK with 1/2" height spacers.
Was going to match the bottom of the CTEK, but too much time doing it by hand.

1 each Plate 4" x 8" x 1/8" aluminum. (polished with 220 wet paper)
2 each Spacer 3/8" hex, 1/2" height w/ 8-32 male / female.
2 each Nut nylon lock stainless.
2 each Screw 8-32 1/2" counter sink stainless.

Back on the garage floor doing its thing.

#4 ·
I've been using a couple of Deltran Battery Tender Jrs

They are in a constant rotation for all the power equipment I have, tractor, garden tractor, generator, and my Z. They do a great job for $26. They won't handle an Optima or some of the other batteries but for normal lead acid batteries they are fine. I got a couple of 25' extension cables so the units stay indoors and installed the plug in pigtails on all the batteries for convenience.

#6 ·
I think $400 is a little much for a battery charge. I can't see spending more than $100 for one. I got a 6 amp
Schumacher at Wal-Mart for about $30 and it works great.

#7 ·
I have to agree... I just seen a Princess Auto deal in Canada for the CTEK model for $50 if anyone is interested. (While supplies last I am sure). :thumbup:

#8 ·
If you want just a charger i would also just go with ctek. However if you need to do any coding or anything specific on vehicle that requires that a certain charge is maintained you need something better then these cycle / trickle type chargers. Thus i concur if you need the ultimate charger / power supply go with the INC-700a.. I own one and wouldn't do without it any more.

#9 ·
Used the Battery Tender last winter in SW Ohio. Long cold spell, no problems for the Z. Think I paid $58.00 for it. Well worth the investment.

#10 ·
I have been using Autometer for the last 8 years. Charges up to 3 batteries at once which is nice. Z4, motorcycle and tractor/generator battery (rotate use).

Expensive though. About $500 but I got it as a gift!

#11 ·
I have used the Deltran Battery Tender Plus for many years (on car, motorcycle, and boat batteries), and probably have at least six in the garage right now. They work great. You can usually buy them from Competition Accessories (motorcycle mail order) for about $40.

#13 ·
I have a couple of the BMW trickle chargers, mostly because I got them in Az for a decent price and as a BMW product I can argue any warranty issues (on my E89). I saw a Battery Tender that was an exact duplicate of the BMW unit at a mechanics place the other day. It was around $85 (this is Canada eh). I also haven't found a CTEK yet :cry:

#19 ·
#15 ·
I bought the CTEK and it has revived several batteries at a point that previously I would have replaced them. :thumbup:

#20 ·
Installing leads from Deltran Tender Plus

I bought a Deltran Battery Tender Plus and hooked up the leads last weekend to the jump start terminals in the engine bay. Got a solid red light indicating good connections and in deep charge mode. 30+ hours of charging later, light still a solid red, and charger pretty warm. Became concerned and unplugged. Started vehicle and battery didn't seem much stronger (still recovering from a required jump after car sat for a month)

Has anyone else (Ron?) hooked up this charger and did you install in engine bay or to battery direct? Would it make a difference given the trickle charge doesn't have to travel such a long distance/or lead goes to battery post direct as opposed to a chassis ground?

Thanks in advance!

#22 · (Edited)
Just picked up another BMW trickle charger, on sale for about $70 . They sure look like the other battery tenders on the market, just a different faceplate ....and they work well for me. ( I have three of them)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.