BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Resonators deleted and custom mufflers too loud !Help.

5K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  JlMMY 
#1 ·
Man this is loud. I just had my resonators deleted and custom mufflers installed and let me tell you sounds amazing outside but inside the car is killing me. Have this happend to anybody what will be the fix?:confused::confused:

#2 ·
Back to stock exhaust? :dunno: Earplugs? :dunno:

#3 · (Edited)
Have them add in two tube resonators. it will tone the sound back down a little. My suggestion is to just straight pipe the car...

#7 · (Edited)
What kind of "custom mufflers" are you running. I wouldn't think much additional sound would be coming from removing the resonators, probably the muffler you chose. Are your mufflers a straight through design or are they chambered. Chambered usually have more interior resonance which is probably what you are experiencing.

#9 ·
It depends on what you did with exhaust. If you went straight back from the headers with two pipes right to the mufflers then I'd say get 2 resonators inserted somewhere in the middle and an X pipe behind them. If you just have an X pipe and mufflers, then just put 2 resonators in between the headers and the X pipe.

If you left the stock front resonators, then I'd say insert 2 more inline between those and the mufflers to quiet it down and smooth it out a bit...

Any tube style resonator would work like the ones in the following list:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/Resonators/

You do get what you pay for somewhat there -- the cheap ones tend to rust out very quickly, and you'll want to buy one that's matched to the size of the piping you have. Any exhaust shop will know what you are talking about if you just go in and tell them you were thinking of adding 2 resonators to quiet it down a bit -- then let them do the legwork on finding some that work.

#11 ·
need some advice.

i have a 645 and installing m6 mufflers only on monday... i want a good sound but not too loud.. which resonators should i delete? also will this affect anything for emissions? and any will any check engine lights appear?

thanks.

#12 ·
i have a 645 and installing m6 mufflers only on monday... i want a good sound but not too loud.. which resonators should i delete? also will this affect anything for emissions? and any will any check engine lights appear?

thanks.
The M6 exhaust will not be much louder than stock. The M6 exhaust is nothing like a Magnaflow or Eisenmann race.

No emission changes or other errors.

#13 ·
I like how quite the stock muffler is. Every time I hear a loud car go by my head turns to notice. Now if I were driving a loud car I would get noticed by Johnnie Law more often and that would make driving fast less fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.