BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Head rebuild

789 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  rooster1986 
#1 ·
I've decided to rebuild my cylinder head with some of my tax return money along with a lightweight flywheel and a few other goodies. I allready have valve guides and seals on my list but Im wanting to do some machine work as well.

I get mixed info on the web on whether or not things such as 3 angle valve jobs or port and polish really make a difference. Any info would be appriciated, if anything Ill just port match intake and exhaust and just have the valve seats reground but if you all think theres any gain in more involved machining I would like to know.

Sent from my SCH-I110 using Bimmer App

#2 ·
meh....unless you are getting the entire engine rebuilt for optimum performance, which would incluse lightening of the crankshaft, balance and blueprinting of the rods and pistons, and then dialing in the cams (custom performance grind), i would just stick with a standard reman.

the guides may be able to be knurled, and new guides need to be installed with the proper tools.

port/polish is not necessary on daily drivers, and the most i would even consider would be extrude honing. but that is still pricey for the gains.

that's my opinion, and i am able to get a cup of coffe with that, and $1.66.....;)

df

#3 ·
Thanks, I'll just stick with the basics then.

Sent from my SCH-I110 using Bimmer App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.