BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Oil service indicator @ 11K miles?

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  tturedraider 
#1 ·
Last week I took the car in for service - interior squeak and pot hole that massively f-ed up a tire & wheel, but not sufficiently for the t/w insurance to cover it, but I disgress, it also screwed up the adaptive headlight. Anyway, I asked if it was possible to get the free oil changed with 4k miles to go (to 15k) as my car was a leftover 2011 purchased this year. "Nope" they said.

As I am driving out the dealer the "service soon" reminder lighted up. I thought "early notice is early" and have been ignoring the reminder for a few days. Today I looked thru the vehicle info menu, and (wtf) it appears to tell me that the oil change was due at 11000 mls (wtf) :confused:

anyone care to chime in? i thought BMW change the service intervals from 10 to 15k, yet the thing says 11k?

#3 ·
Finally a member who actually "drives" his car instead of makes sure it is good condition for the next owner...

I pride myself on my early oil changes in my M3!

Woot! Woot!

#12 ·
Finally a member who actually "drives" his car instead of makes sure it is good condition for the next owner...

I pride myself on my early oil changes in my M3!

Woot! Woot!
An E90 328i with the indestructible IL6 can take more abuse than your overly sensitive M3.:p

#4 ·
Your scheduled maintenance should cover you either based on mileage or time. Time being based on the build date. So regardless of the mileage you are probably due for service.

I bought a left over 2011 with a build date of 8/10. I just got the first service done at only 2K miles which was oil/filter, brake flush, cabin filter, wipers, and inspection. No charge.

#5 ·
is 11k miles in 206 days "beating my car" or do you mean "don't drive over pot holes" ? lol

I had an 80mile commute for a few months. I moved and now its only 1/4 of that.

anyways, why is the car telling me its wants an oil change at 11k? "recommended" but not covered under free maintenance?

#8 ·
It will now be covered. Maintenance is covered "As determined by your car's condition based service indicator." The oil sensor analyzes the quality of the oil and the computer takes into account other driving factors to determine the need to have the oil changed. It can make some fairly dramatic adjustments along the way. Apparently your car's computer made such an adjustment in the last week.

Oil services are not strictly time based. A few services are, such as a brake fluid flush. It is every 24 months based on the date of manufacture.

#7 ·
They did, and told me its not by build date but in service date.

Just got of the phone with my SA, he said the car can modify the service schedule based on usage /fuel consumption, that cars with lots of stop&go use will ask for service earlier.. hmm.. this sounded slightly like BS :confused:

He then said, if the car says to change the oil its covered under free maintenance :dunno:

#14 ·
I usually get confused. My CBS says 11k when I look at the service info. This 11k has not changed for a while after I added about 2.5k more miles. So I am thinking is this the mileage I need to bring in for service or I have 11k left before I bring it in? I will check again today and it should be lower than 11k since I have put 2k additional miles since the last time i checked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.