BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW had to "build me a new one"

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  mr29 
#1 ·
Imagine my disappointment when my CA informed me that my '13 128i w/manual tranny was "damaged" during shipping, and that they'd have to build me a new one. 2 weeks is the estimated additional wait time. Sounds a tad bit optimistic, but we'll see. Ugh.

#2 ·
Youre lucky- if the damagie had been less they could have repaired/reprinted it and never told you....

Have they offered to explain the calculus behind '14 days'? ;)

#5 ·
Youre lucky- if the damagie had been less they could have repaired/reprinted it and never told you....

Have they offered to explain the calculus behind '14 days'? ;)
Yeah, the 14 day delay estimate seemed overly optimistic to me. I'm going to contact BMW corporate today and see what their take on it is. This situation also sucks because the rear tires on my current 135i have EXACTLY 4/32nds of tread left. Now...if I have to drive my current car an extra couple of weeks and those treads become a lease return issue, I hope BMW will cut me some slack. That's another issue I'll bring up with corporate today.

#4 ·
My dealership claims they don't have details on when the damage occurred or what the extent of the damage was. But it's my sense the car was damaged on the way to the port in Bremerhaven. I had a VIN, the bmwusa site said it was enroute to USA, but unlike our X1 (which was apparently better taken care of & gets delivered next week) the VIN came up "No Record Found" on the cargo company's website. So I assume that means it was completed in the factory, sent to the port but never made it in the ship.

#7 ·
Sounds to me like the dealer principal needed a car for his daughter, so he snagged yours.

#8 ·
...or the car was really damaged?

#9 ·
If two weeks was additional build time sounds like they had a car in production as soon as they found out then let you know after it was being built to cushion the down time between cars. FYI WE HAD TWO X6's that were damaged in production last week BMW replaced them that same week, they went into production in a matter of days. Sorry to hear about it...that is unfortunate.

#10 ·
What happens to the damaged cars after they are repaired?

Hypothetical: if a car was damaged in transfr, but under the $ limit that requires disclosure...would you as a CA tell the buyer? What if he asked, 'any damage in transit?'. Or 'why the extra 4 days at VPC?'

Tough call I'd bet...

A

#11 ·
If damage exceeds 3% (I believe this is the number... its been several years) of MSRP, BMW will replace the car with another unit and will determine what to do with the damaged car. For minor damage, they repair and then sell to a dealer as a "used" car with damage disclosure. Once it gets more severe, they might not repair and will scrap it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.