BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Help: Is it the shocks?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mawana 
#1 ·
There is a sound coming from the rear on the driver's side when I start to accelerate or when going around a bend. It seems like some loose object rolling around in the trunk. I checked my trunk and everything is locked down. I thought my shocks were gone and so I checked into a garage. However the mechanic said both my shocks are still fine. He added what he called "spacers" on the mounts of both shocks and said all would be fine. His reason was that the sound was caused by the springs around the shocks. I now do not know what is causing this. A search of the forum has not helped.

#2 ·
I assume your 318i is an e-46.. Although I have not suffered this malady, many e-46 owners have- check your rear subframe attach points, check for cracks in the floor. BMW settled a class action lawsuit with e-46 owners concerning floor failures. Check the wiki here to see if this may be what is affecting you.

#3 ·
I don't know of any suspension noises that sound like something rolling around. Did you remove your back seat to see if something is under it rolling around? Cracked subframe is usually a clunk type of noise, like the sound of a worn dif bushing from what I have read.

#6 ·
I don't know of any suspension noises that sound like something rolling around. Did you remove your back seat to see if something is under it rolling around? Cracked subframe is usually a clunk type of noise, like the sound of a worn dif bushing from what I have read.
^^^ this!

#4 ·
Yes, the 318i is an e-46.

I will remove the back seat and check but I would be surprised to find anything. This sound just started out of nowhere. The sound is like there is something loose somewhere in the back. It is like a clunk. However it only occurs when I accelerate or when the car is going round a bend and then it is quite loud. The mechanic said that the sound comes from the barrel spring around the rear shocks. He added some rubber spaces at the upper end of the rear shock mounts and assure me the sound would be gone. It did disappear for a couple of days but then came back.

I thought of replacing the shocks but the mechanic thought it would not solve the problem. Could the barrel spring be the problem? Has it become weaker? What is a cracked subframe? If it is the subframe that is cracked, how do I verify this? Our roads are pretty rough.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.