BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Bored of my 328i...want to spice it up.

8K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  thebmw 
#1 ·
Long time browser...but this is my first post.

In 2010 I was set on buying a Camaro. Well, when my wife reminded me that we were having kids soon, I decided to go for a sedan and thought the 4 door 3 series looked fairly sporty. Found a decent deal on a 2010 328i with a MT.

Love how the car drives. I am just getting bored with the look. I am at 41k miles on the stock run flats and they are wearing thin. I am wanting some advice on some ways to make some upgrades.

I do NOT have the sports package. I currently have the stock 16s and hate them (love the spoke styling though). Would 18s look fine without the sport package? Also, not sure if I should look at wider than stock. Any recommendations on this front?

One other area I hate is the front bumper. I really like this style bumper on the 335i:

Is there an economical way to upgrade to this bumper, or one of similar style?

I guess the last question is...how much to upgrade to LED halos?

See less See more
#4 ·
These changes are definitely for cosmetic purposes.

I guess my questions boil down to:

1) Will 18s look good without the sport package?

2) Do slightly wider tires add to the appearance?

3) What is the most economical way to get the bumper that the 335i is using from the OP?

4) What is the typical cost to upgrade to LED Halo lights?

#5 ·
Tsyras,
I'll give this a shot as a former "modder" (E39, E46 M3):
1. Of course a "plus" tire fitment (18") will add to the awesome look of your car.
2. An 18" tire option will be lower profile and wider "look."
3. Best to search other web sites for this info. There are many. This is slippery slope area unless you do your homework well and find a reliable company. Caution for poor fitting...don't go with anything made in China!
4. Best to start searching for BMW aftermarket lighting...many sites. Umnitza may be a good place to start. Automotive lighting offerings are rife with cheap Chinese imports...be careful.

You didn't mention wheels, but stay away from cheap cast wheels. Forged construction process is the best and most expensive...YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. The wheels should be able to accommodate your TPMS sensors. I recommend The Tire Rack.

Others may chime in.

#7 ·
LUX Angel eyes for the corona rings. They're not as bright as the stock BMW ones(Sis has the LCI 3 'vert) but they still look a lot better then the nasty yellow ones.

#8 · (Edited)
Well a cheap way to change the looks is an aftermarket body kit, you can try looking at Andys Auto Sport. You will find body kits that match the stock looks or different altogether. Find something you like and look for it on eBay. They carry alot of different items, including some nice headlights and tail lights.
For Rims I like companies like ASpec because of there replica style wheels. I mostly like them because you get to keep the BMW logo. I know I know i'm picky. A bonus in picking these is that they fully support the Tire Pressure Sensor. (Make sure you if you replace your wheels to have those installed on the new ones).

Another thing you can do, is try and find the bumper from the 335i that you like and put it on yours. I'm not 100% sure, but I would assume any of the 3 series would be interchangeable long as the years are matching up.

I personally love the look of our Bimmers, I bought my car used and it has aftermarket rims and I hate them, they look immature to me and I'm not big on low profile.

#9 ·
You can always do what I did. I've had many BMWs (and still have one), but was bored of how surgical they are. Yes, sounds weird, but I wanted some personality back in the car. I desperately wanted an engine sound that was beautiful. So I bought a brand new Challenger SRT8. RWD, Manual, Coupe, and fits two cars seats comfortably. Trunk is at least 50% bigger than a 3 series too! So you can have your cake and eat it too. When this gets boring, might get a 4 series or a M4 or another SRT product...who knows.

Let me know if you're interested in really shaking things up. I'll help you with questions.

#16 ·
In all seriousness, by the time you put on wheels, a front bumper and then spend some money on other things you don't love about the car, you are probably cheaper to trade it on an equivalent year/mileage 335i and have what you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.