BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

recent M6 owner

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  precisionparks 
#1 ·
Greetings, I just bought a new M6 coupe. Don't know anyone personally that I can share info and ask questions. Its my six bmw, first M6

#2 ·
Same here. Just picked up 06 M6 with 10k mi's from Miami. SSII exterior with upgraded blk leather. Just bought new Continental Extreme Contact tires. Getting clear bra applied tomorrow. My 3rd BMW, second M. First was M5 E39 2002. Owned many other sports cars over the decades but this is the most powerful HP wise so far. Still trying to figure out the combos for SMG, M Drve, DSC and power settings. Looking for performance with comfort.

#3 ·
Mines an 08 w/15k. Stratus grey w/black merino and black carbon fiber. came with Hancook tires. Not sure what you mean by the clear bra. They put a coating on mine cause they offered it as a promotion along with anything happens to interior. Got the tire-wheel warranty for $1,200 extra. Traded in 06 550 that was nice but died. Best to keep in M drive I normally have it on 400 hp and comfort or normal. If I'm in an area with less traffice I change to 500 and sport..Cause all u have to do is hit the power button without looking at the screen. Its less jerkier on comfort. In the city Normal is fine as well. I haven't used sport settings yet for any length of time. Enjoy

#8 ·
Hey congrads buddy any questions hit me up

#5 ·
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get off sticker? I assume it is a new 2010 leftover.

#7 · (Edited)
Your first M6

This is my 3rd beemer. 95 525 sedan, 02 E39 M5, 06 E63 M6. I just turned 64.
All 3 were purchased used - at least 3 yrs old or older.

(Read on if you have time. Sorry for the long opine ;) )

It really pays to spend much time performing your due diligence. Especially if it has a history of cosmetic damage.
After the fact, found out that M5 had had the hood replaced, probably the front clip too. (before you buy any used BMW ALWAYS check major parts to make sure they are factory original) Bought the M5 four years old. Very low miles (18k). Car had been stored for 2 yrs. Had been repainted. How did I find out? Was not disclosed by either CarFax or AutoCheck (BTW, it is SO easy to hide damage repair :mad:). Dealer pulled front passenger inside door panel off to check on something else and found white powdery substance (buffing compount). The paint job was so good that even some of the dealer folks didn't recognize it. Most years BMW puts id # (part of VIN) on major parts like hood/trunk/fenders. Kept M5 2 yrs. Sold in 08) and got $500 less than I paid for it. Drove it 20k mi's. Buyer had hi mileage 540 for business and wanted to move up in performance.

M6 purchased from exotic car dealership in FL. Car had been warehoused for 3 yrs and had 2k miles driven during that time by dealership owner. Primarily to exercise it. Took basically a week (part time, I'm retired) to accomplish due diligence. FL is a great state for tracking accident repairs, title search (number of owners - got copies {both sides} of each title transfer). Car went thru auto auction in 08. Has 3 owners. Spoke with BMW Corp in OH. Car had been put in service as lease and financed by BMW. Lease broke 8 months later. Accident occurred 6 months into lease. They confirmed some of info I had previous obtained from other sources. Took me a week to obtain fax copy of accident report. Had insurance coy listed. Called them and got body shop. Called them (high end shop but not BMW dealer). Got faxed copy of entire repair including paint. (12k for JUST a fender bender! ALL parts orig BMW replaced-hood/left front fender/front clip/left head light). Shop also gave me history of original leased operator which was good. This shop does allot of exotic car paint jobs & repairs. The paint job was perfect. BMW dealer had to install new driver front airbag plus sensor/computer. I have obtained a complete history of all service done. Both by calling all local FL dealers as well as obtaining a master copy from my local dealer in MO. The install from accident showed up on VIN records but was covered up with basically "Customer states that restraint/airbag lite stays illuminated). It was all part of the overall repair. It REALLY pays to due ALL the research when you purchase any beemer - used low mileage high end ones especially. You don't want to get stuck.

I'm okay with it all. I got a car I could have never afforded new (MSRP sticker was 104,685). I bought it under 50k wi 9900 mi's. Did do a test drive and had a local shop run a computer history/seach on the warnings, etc. Also checked to make sure all recalls had been done. They had. WHEW :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.