BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

[2009] 328xi COUPE vs SEDAN

3K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  ///M-Furby 
#1 · (Edited)
If you've seen my last post, I've chosen the BMW 3 over the Lexus IS250 (yay for me)
Now, it's a matter of whether I'm getting a coupe or a sedan. Personally, I like the coupe better because...I'm 20. But my dad is thinking otherwise and wants to get me the sedan instead. I love the coupe's face, but I also like the side view of the shape of the sedan. If it was still the same design as the 2008 model, I'd definitely choose the sedan no questions asked, but I'm not really fond of the new hood lines on the 2009 model.

I checked the BMW website and compared the two (2009 coupe and sedan), and basically there's no differences in any features at all except the coupe have just one or two more small features than the sedan, and also bigger rims. Now I want to hear it from the pros (you guys) on each model.

Please give me any insight on both of the models whether it's from your own experience with either one, or what you've heard about them. For starters, I know that the sedan is cheaper, and the coupe will probably mean higher insurance? Thanks in advance :thumbup:

#2 ·
Some of the colors you can only get with either or. i.e. you can only get red leather in a coupe and true you can only get bigger rims with the coupe :) <but I'm sure if you really wanted to you could switch them out yourself>
Are you going to haul a lot of people? The sedan will be easier for that...

#4 · (Edited)
Well I'm not worrying about colour since I'm for sure going to get black interior and probably white exterior. Hauling people isn't necessary but yes it would be easier with a sedan but it will be a mainly full-time 2-people car for me and my girlfriend. I think it's just the idea of me driving a coupe that scares my dad, since I'm not really much of a "safe" driver in his POV.

Well, it sounds like you've made up your mind here. If you're not fond of the hood on the sedan, it could grow on you?? :dunno: But why get something that you don't like?
Because it's not my choice =\ And it's not that I don't like the sedan, it's just not AS appealing to me as the coupe. Let me put it this way, front view I like the coupe better, side view I like the sedan better...........yeah, pretty frustrating.

I'm really fine with either one here, but I just want to get some insights and advices from owners of either model on anything good about it that differs it from the other model.

#3 ·
If you've seen my last post, I've chosen the BMW 3 over the Lexus IS250 (yay for me)
Now, it's a matter of whether I'm getting a coupe or a sedan. Personally, I like the coupe better because...I'm 20. But my dad is thinking otherwise and wants to get me the sedan instead. I love the coupe's face, but I also like the side view of the shape of the sedan. If it was 2008 model, I'd choose the sedan myself, but I'm not really fond of the new hood lines on the 2009 model.

I checked the BMW website and compared the two (2009 coupe and sedan), and basically there's no differences in any features at all except the coupe have just one or two more small features than the sedan, and also bigger rims. Now I want to hear it from the pros (you guys) on each model.

Please give me any insight on both of the models whether it's from your own experience with either one, or what you've heard about them. For starters, I know that the sedan is cheaper, and the coupe will probably mean higher insurance? Thanks in advance :thumbup:
Well, it sounds like you've made up your mind here. If you're not fond of the hood on the sedan, it could grow on you?? :dunno: But why get something that you don't like?

#5 ·
I have the coupe. 'Love it. A little lighter, lower, and quicker. Still quite practical for a daily driver. No problem for reasonably fit people getting in and out of the rear and still plenty of room back there. Note that is is a four seater. No way to take five people. Rear seats fold down (I think that's standard, but check) and you can carry a decent sized item in the back as a result. No problem with a road bike or fairly big box. The most significant difference is in aesthetics and, in general, people find the coupe stands out a bit more. But they're both beautiful cars.

Insurance will be higher with the coupe but, overall, insurance tends to drop when going to a BMW so this may offset and your insurance may not change that much.

#6 · (Edited)
I have the coupe. 'Love it. A little lighter, lower, and quicker.
Quicker? Is that because it weighs a little less?

BMW.CA said:
.........................................Coupe................Sedan
Curb weight, (auto, kg).........1645...................1655
Max. payload (kg).................400.....................460
Luggage capacity (L)............440.....................460
10 KG different doesn't seem THAT big of a deal...but 20L difference in luggage capacity seems a little big to me =\

#10 ·
Actually, your dad IS probably right. So now the question comes back to you... are you responsible enough to handle either car? (I'm betting you are, but only you know you.)

Of course, you'll be tempted with any BMW. No BMW sedan is a slouch.

#11 ·
I'm responsible, but even the most responsible person can get tempted. I still remember when I first started driving....and also when I first got my RDX....and now I'm getting a BMW... I have to say there WILL be at least a "short" period of time after I first get it that I'll be whippin' that thing pretty hard. Afterall, I AM only 20 :angel:

#14 ·
Cmon you're 20, you should not be in anything except for a coupe. Besides the performance for a coupe and sedan are basically the same. If you're gonna race with the coupe, chances are a sedan probably isn't gonna stop you either. Besides with a coupe there's a better likelihood that your friends wont' be asking you for a ride all the time since it's a fairly tight squeeze in the back :).

#20 ·
I be grateful for either one if my dad was buying me a new Bimmer at 20. My .02

#27 ·
:rofl: Its one of a kind :rofl:

#30 ·
You can crank out 110 in a sedan without even feeling it. Is that enough power for you?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.