BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

X5 Radiator nozzle?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bimmerworld 
#1 ·
Does anybody know what this is in the picture attached? The picture is taken from the front of the passenger side. This nozzle-like thing is attached to the radiator and when pushed (under the cap) it blows air. I guess this is used to remove air from the radiator. Is that correct? I tried it for 10-15 seconds and air kept going out. I guess I should continue until water comes out, right. Did not continue before asking you guys. Thanks! Vehicle Car Mid-size car Bumper Subcompact car

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
This nozzle-like thing is attached to the radiator and when pushed (under the cap) it blows air. I guess this is used to remove air from the radiator. Is that correct? I tried it for 10-15 seconds and air kept going out. I guess I should continue until water comes out, right. View attachment 357816
I can't say for certain (due to you NOT having ANY information in a signature or listed as to WHICH of the 3 engines you may have on your 05 X5)...but I highly suggest NOT to keep releasing the "air" from that schrader valve.

More than likely, you are releasing the R-134A refrigerant from your AC system. Again, I can't say for certain since there's no car info to tell which engine you have and the pic is so close to the valve that I can't tell if it could be the high or the low side. Plus you say that it is running to your radiator? (why would your cooling system have that much air under pressure...it should only contain coolant)

You'll definitely know this summer if you released your refrigerant if your AC will only pump out warm air.

#4 ·
Thanks, QSilver7!

You are right, that was the A/C refrigerant valve. I don't think I lost too much R-134A, but I will probably top it off in the summer. Do you know if that is the high pressure valve? There is another valve near the windshield washer tank close to passenger firewall. I guess that one is the low pressure one. Is that correct?

I have updated my signature with my SAV's specifications. Thanks for pointing that out!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.