BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Help- abs, traction (4x4), and brake lights are all on (05 x3 3.0 auto)

152K views 54 replies 28 participants last post by  swampX3 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

The abs, traction and brake lights have come on on my car. It drives perfectly normal like before, the lights came on then went away after a few days, then came back a few days later. Now when I turn the car off, I get clicking noises from under the front of the car. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I'm a broke college student so hopefully I can fix this myself...Please help!

#36 · (Edited)
Could a brake fluid flush somehow contribute to this? Dealer told me I was due for a brake fluid flush, so I took it to an indy mechanic yesterday. Today, on my way to SBUX, while i pulled in their parking lot the three lights (brake, abs, 4x4) came on and it's like the whole car wanted to shut down. Rough engine idle, I could barely turn into a parking spot... had to take two spots, i'm glad it wasn't rush hour.

i've got my appt set with BMW of Dallas tomorrow. I suppose I'll ask my advisor to look at the transfer case actuator first. :eek:

:(

*sigh* when it rains car maintenance, it pours!

Two weeks ago I had my VANOS solenoid replaced. Last week, the dealer replaced my knocking sensors... and now this!

I'm so glad I bought the extended warranty.

#38 ·
Certified Pre-Owned.

I parked my X5 outdoor in the death of winter for about 2 weeks with steering locked all to the right. I drove it this afternoon and it has all 3 yellow lights on. I tried the steering lock to lock and all 3 lights are gone now. All 3 lights were still there when I lock steering to right but all gone the minute I lock steering to the left. Cheers,

#40 · (Edited)
If you are talking to Alexdfw, he already sold his X3. The previous poster indicated the lock-to-lock steering trick worked for him, worth a try for any one having this issue.

#48 ·
UPDATE: still hesitating after...

I changed transfer case oil with bmw oil. It didn't start running out even though I put 1 full liter in????? Test drove still lights and hesitating badly

Then unplugged actuator motor (large,connector, not small) then dove and all seemed fine for about 3 miles of stop and go, then started hesitating again, getting worse as I drove.

At this point I don't know what to do next. Change actuator motor gear, like I did before, which worked, but I didn't have any hesitation during that time, just three lights, or buy a new motor. Could it be a transmission problem? There are no strange noises when any of this is happening. HELP!!!

Thks

#53 ·
unplug the transfer case

>you can unplug the transfer case in 2 minutes by just squirming under and popping out the connector

>this will put you in rear wheel drive only BUT you will not have ABS so be careful ....it will be like driving a seventies vehicle but will let you drive till the new part arrives.....best wishes....drive safe

>put a ziplock/baggy over the connections and zip tie it so no dirt gets in the male and female connections

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.