BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Putting a 320i engine in a 2002

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Lem Forder 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever done this before? I can get a nice 2 liter 320i engine, and was told it was a direct drop in to my 1970 2002. The only exception is the fuel injection and the fuel pump. Can I add an electric fuel pump, and switch my carb over to the new engine?

Tips and ideas?

Thanks...

#5 ·
I am also considering the same. But, would want to swap back to the carbs. I believe that the oilpan and dipstick swap over to provide fitment. How much more "sluggish" is the 320 motor than what was in the original? I agree that an S14 would indeed be sweet, but not all of us are blessed with severa l thousand disposable dollars.

#6 ·
Since no one answered your question, I'll give it a try. The 320i engine is also an m10, so it should be a direct swap into the '02. I haven't personally done it, so can't say for sure. Check 2002 FAQ: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/ for links to others who have done this. Before you switch back to carbs, be sure to read about all the guys who have gone to great lengths to switch from carbs to 320i FI.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.