BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Need advice - faulty 135i, service issues

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  mr29 
#1 ·
I just bought a used 2011 135i with 6,715 miles on it for $32,900. I had it for three days, and the "check engine soon" light went on. This was a big purchase for me and I was so excited.

I drove about 80 miles in those three days. I took it immediately back to the dealer. I'm really worried I either bought a lemon or the dealer is incredibly incompetent or both.

It's still under warranty. Here are the events so far:

Feb 1: brought car home
Feb 4: "service engine soon" light went on
Feb 5: took car to dealer in the morning, in the afternoon they say they need to reprogram the computer
Feb 6: dealer says they are struggling to reprogram the computer and they need a new actuator for the cam shaft (?)
Feb 7: they forgot to order the part that attaches the actuator so had to order that
Feb 8: dealer wasn't able to get the computer to communicate with the new actuator, told me they couldn't even start the car now. Also, their systems were down.
Feb 9/10: weekend, so no updates
Feb 11: called dealer, the service guy working on the car was off and the systems were down so they weren't able to give me an update. I am so frustrated by this point I don't know what to do.
Feb 12: dealer calls and says they've been talking to BMWNA and they are going to send a new computer from NJ. Car is still dead in the water.
Feb 13: no update
Feb 14: dealer says computer will arrive in a few days, best estimate car will be ready Feb 21

The VIN is WBAUC9C56BVM09000. I'm wondering if the dealer sold me a car they knew to be faulty and not sure how I can prove that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#4 ·
wow that sucks hard to believe they didn't know about it. i did hear horror stories about demo cars a few months back though. long as its covered under warranty i wouldn't worry too much.though the fact it's a demo worries me slightly though

Sent from my XT557 using Bimmer App

#9 ·
Dead actuator / vanos solenoid + computer..... Common problem with bm cars

Not surprise me

It Sux .... Hope it s fixed soon

#10 ·
Thanks for everyone's replies. I have an update. The new computer arrived early yesterday morning, and they jumped on it immediately (probably because I finally got through to a sales manager that morning and conveyed my quickly escalating frustration). I was able to pick it up at the end of the day. They are covering two months of my payments for the hassle. Since I have a working car in hand now, I feel two months payments is a fair deal. They also promised to fight for us if the car does need to be bought back by BMWNA under lemon laws. Just words, I know, but it was what I needed to hear. I still think this dealer's service dept is incompetent, so will need to go elsewhere in the future. Now, it's just a matter of hoping that there are no more major problems. Because, man is it a fun car to drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.