BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Anti-Friction rubber coating?

6K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  wjjklj 
#1 ·
I am replacing my water pump and the TIS instructions call for applying a anti-friction rubber coating to the coolant pipe on the back of the pump. I am attaching a picture. Any idea what this is? Is it basically a silicone sealant to allow the rubber pipe to slide into the pump or is it a gasket material? Thanks in advance.

#8 ·
I already have it put back on and I used the silicone grease shown above. I assumed the anti friction compound was just to make the rubber slick enough to slide into the engine block. Am I right or is it going to leak and I need permatex or something?

#10 ·
Thanks for the quick response I was headed to the auto parts store and prepared to pull the water pump back off. The short larger tube was in great shape and the rubber looked brand new after cleaning it. It did have some crusty looking stuff around the flange when I took it out. I didn't know if that was gasket sealer or just crusty coolant?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.