BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Engine Shield Replacement

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  twhisten 
#1 ·
last week... I ran over a dead animal and I damaged the engine shield cover. I didn't get a chance to avoid it. The animal was right infront of me when I changed the lane. I Feel bad.:cry:

Can you guys give a ball park figure to replace this at a dealer? Is it worth it to replace at dealer? I searched online its around $150.

What would be your recommendations?

#3 ·
If the shield is just cracked it can be welded and given that it's not a cosmetic issue, this is the route that I would take. It's ABS plastic and many body shops can weld ABS bumpers.

I would remove it and see if it can be repaired before buying a new one.

#4 ·
If you're going to replace the shield yourself (all you need is an 8mm ratchet and a way to get the car into the air), I would get a new one.

If you're going to have a shop do the repair, I would ask them if they can repair it. If they are confident, then have them repair it. It will probably be the same price as a new splash guard, without install labor. If they are any bit hesitant, go to a different shop or just have them install a new shield. If they are hesitant, they might not be able to complete the repair which might end up costing you double since they will still try and charge you labor for doing nothing...

#5 ·
Plastic welders are home mechanic tools and I have one. Check out Amazon (between $60 and $150). Mine needs a source of compressed air but a simpler model that looks like a soldering iron also works. The weld needs to be made on the back surface and it is very strong when complete. The only trick is to find some scraps to cut rods so that the plastic is compatible. Many things can be repaired and the tool easily pays for itself (Tool guy justification).

I have even repaired plastic tarps by overlapping sections and applying pressure with a bearing on a handle while applying heat.

The cost to have the process done in an automotive shop involves too much labour to remove the part and weld from behind. If you have the part off, it's a five minute job.

This is assuming that it's only cracked. if you are missing sections then buy a new one.

#7 ·
Update - I had taken the car to a private repair shop and he recommeded to take the car to dealer since the part is available with the dealer and he said 2 of 3 shields were damaged and need to be replaced. I took the car BMW north houston and got it fixed. The factory parts cost me arnd 350 and got it fixed.

Btw the I test drove 335GT its a awesome family sports car... Lot roomy than my 2011 335...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.