BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

xx 740iL - Wont start and key wont turn

13K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Mayorchuck 
#1 · (Edited)
I put my key into ignition and when I turn it left and right my key wont move and my car wont start because the key wont turn all the way, what do u think is wrong?
Two days ago I got home and I turned the key all the way to turn it off and the key came out but the car was still turning. I tried different methods like putting the key back in and moving the wheels side to side or taking it out of park and moving it backwards then forward but nothing worked i couldnt get the key to turn all the way. The key still cant turn all the way to start and I was wondering what the problem was and what are ways i could fix it?
Maybe the problem would be something with the ignition switch??? :dunno:

#2 ·
Try turning the steering wheel to the left while attempting to gently turn the key to start the car. When I say gently, I simply mean, don't break the key in the ignition. If that doesn't work, try turning the steering wheel to the right and again attempting to start the car. I feel that you may have locked the steering wheel upon getting out of the car.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S using Bimmer App

#5 ·
Have you or anyone you know messed with your ECU/ECM/ near your relays under the hood on the passenger (right, back) of the car near the firewall? If yu have a prob wit your computer it may no longer recognize your key fob. Wait, are yu abl to unlock your doors & trunk with your key fob buttons?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer App

#15 ·
having same problem

my ignition barrel is frozen also and was going to order a new one from bmw , but was reading this thread and noticed that Koolkidd asked specifically if you are unable to unlock your doors and drunk with key fob !
i cant unlock mine with key fob !!!
does this meamn that its not the barrel but computer related .....

also some mentioned to take barrel out and clean it ?
hjas that worked for anyone ...

#7 ·
Two days ago I got home and I turned the key all the way to turn it off and the key came out but the car was still turning. I tried different methods like putting the key back in and moving the wheels side to side or taking it out of park and moving it backwards then forward but nothing worked i couldnt get the key to turn all the way. The key still cant turn all the way to start and I was wondering what the problem was and what are ways i could fix it?
Maybe the problem would be something with the ignition switch??? :dunno:

#8 ·
Okay, so something is definitely wrong beyond MY comprehension. I drive a 1997 BMW E38 740IL. my steering wheel WILL lock if i turn the car off, take the key out, and turn the steering wheel. Afterwards, wen i go to drive again, i have to "disengage" the steering wheel lock by turning the wheel (i normally go left, right, left) while pushing the key in and turning the key. It will then become loose as well as the steering wheel receives more "play" and my key will fully turn and start the car. Maybe mine is different 4sum reason?

#10 · (Edited)
What year is your car? It sounds like your ignition lock cylinder is messed up. Do you have access to a Bentley manual? Or google "bmw ignition lock cylinder fix."

ETA: Take a look here.

#12 ·
You can just buy the lock cylinder or take out your old one and clean it out with wd-40. They some times get gummed up. I just replaced mine and used the same keys. There's a DIY online somewhere that shows how to do this.

#16 ·
Barrel is a mechanical issue and has nothing to do with the key fob locking the door. You don't mention the year of your car but you may need to replace the batteries or simply reinitialize the key fob. One has nothing to do with the other. Here is info on the tumbler. It's from an E31 but it's the same set up as yours.

http://www.meeknet.co.uk/e31/Lock/E31_Ignition_Lock_Tumbler_Replacement.htm

#17 ·
thank you for that info...

my bmw is a 95 740IL...

the reason why i asked my question was as soon as my ignition froze and couldnt turn key , i managed to turn motor off by other means , and then my key fob did not work from that moment ... so basically my ignition froze and key fob failed immediately after ...was working fine before that , so i thought it was quite a coincidence ...

i replaced battery and tried initializing the key as shown on youtube , but it did not work ..( it does say that you need to turn ignition on then off for initializing to take effect ....

#18 ·
I would be looking for a mechanical problem with the ign switch - like the screws holding the switch part on have worked loose.

#19 ·
Mayorchuck.... i have read the instructions for getting the tumbler out,, it seems that if the key does not turn in the lock, the repair will require the replacement of the complete steering-lock assembly. ?
is this correct and if so will i have to order the tumbler and steering lock assembly also ?
bmw quoted me $333.00 for the tumbler !!!! very expensive ..:mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.