BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Purchasing a used 2003 745li

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Blinky330XI 
#1 ·
Hi all, I'm brand new to this board and looking to become an active member. I've been shopping for a 2003-2004 745i/li and came across a very clean 2003 745li that is pretty loaded. However, the mileage has just past 100k, so past the factory warranty but its priced at $28k. Will I experience any further issues as I would think any gremlins would of appeared by now. Also, since I'm new here, what other maintenance item would I need to swap out after 100k miles? ie, timing belt, water pump, etc. Thank you all in advance as I'm looking forward to join this community. Dave.

PS: Any real changes from 2003 to 2004? There is also a 2004 745i I was looking that has 36k and priced at $40k. Which would be a better buy?
Edit/Delete Message

PSS: I inadvertanly posted this on the 7/8 series thread by mistake :tsk:

#2 ·
AN 04' FOR 40K!!! That is a really good price. I haven't seen many 03's going for too much less than that. As for the100,000+ miles, you probably shouldn't go there. These cars are expensive as hell to repair without the warranty.

#4 ·

Yeah, the 2004 very loaded just like the way I like it :thumbup: My only drawback is the color grey. The 2003 has the brilliant silver that I like and the condition of it looks like its a 20k mile car. The mom and pop dealer for the 2004 offered the $40k. I bet I can probably talk him down a little bit more as the tires are a bit worn.

Thanks all.

#5 ·
Yeah, the 2004 very loaded just like the way I like it :thumbup: My only drawback is the color grey. The 2003 has the brilliant silver that I like and the condition of it looks like its a 20k mile car. The mom and pop dealer for the 2004 offered the $40k. I bet I can probably talk him down a little bit more as the tires are a bit worn.

Thanks all.
hmmmm, mom and pop store aye? You'd better check to see what kind of warranty you can get. Some others may correct me if I am wrong, but I think a CPO warranty covers cars purchased from BMW dealers. I do not know how much warranty you would have without the CPO. Be careful.

#6 ·
I'm working on a deal for a 2004 745i, 24,000 miles, CPO, in service date 9/2004. Jet black, flannel gray interior, Premium Sound, Luxury seating, convenience packages. Asking price was $49,900, got them down to $46,800. Seems good to me, from the research I've done.

anyone disagree?

#7 ·
I'm working on a deal for a 2004 745i, 24,000 miles, CPO, in service date 9/2004. Jet black, flannel gray interior, Premium Sound, Luxury seating, convenience packages. Asking price was $49,900, got them down to $46,800. Seems good to me, from the research I've done.

anyone disagree?
Seems like a good deal to me. But if i were you id go out and find a 2003 with the same amount of miles... The 2003s came with a 6 year 100k warranty... so if you find an 03 with low miles your gonna have a warranty for an extra year over an 04 which came with a 4 year 50k warranty... and you can pick up an 03 cheaper too!!!

#8 ·
+1 I agree...shop around...but u know what....you just mentioned that:

You have until 09/2009 for warranty..which is what you would be getting with a 2003 model (6yr/100K up to 2009) as well....so if you dont drive that much...and if this sounds like the right deal (color, options etc.) to you...i say go for it....why go for an older car:dunno: ..when you can get the same amount of warranty on a newer vehicle :thumbup:

#9 ·
You have until 09/2009 for warranty..which is what you would be getting with a 2003 model (6yr/100K up to 2009) as well
He said the IN SERVICE DATE was 9/2004... So how the hell do you figure the warranty is good till 2009? lets see... in service date... 9/2004... 4 year warranty... umm wait 2004 + 4 equals... umm 2008? Your better of with an 03 which will be up in 2009...

#12 ·
CPO -- http://www.bmwusa.com/cpo/benefits/warranty

you get the balance of the 4/50K warranty & maintenance free plus you get an additional 2 year/100K total mile exclusionary warranty. Or put another way you get a warranty that lasts 6 years or 100K miles from the original in service date. The last two years of which you have a $50 deductible and have to pay for wear-n-tear items, instead of just gas & tires like the first 4 years.

I had two deals in front of me, both CPO.

2004 745i 24K miles, jet black, gray interior, premium sound, convenience, luxury seating. In service 9/2004 $48,600.

2004 745i 46K miles, toledo metallic blue, flannel gray interior, premium sound, luxury seating, adaptive ride, In service 3/2004. iPod integration installed as well. $49,995.

I signed the papers for the 2nd option this morning. The first option was not local to me and would have required a plane ride and drive time back. I also have a 2002 Range Rover to trade-in and so with all of my personal variables involved, the 2nd option was cheaper for me.

I'm looking forward to Thursday when I get to pick it up. Now I need to work my butt off, grow my company, and save up for an M6 convertible via BMW Individual and a 760Li or what ever they will be called when the time arrives. My goal 3-5 years. :)

#13 ·
CPO -- http://www.bmwusa.com/cpo/benefits/warranty

you get the balance of the 4/50K warranty & maintenance free plus you get an additional 2 year/100K total mile exclusionary warranty. Or put another way you get a warranty that lasts 6 years or 100K miles from the original in service date. The last two years of which you have a $50 deductible and have to pay for wear-n-tear items, instead of just gas & tires like the first 4 years.

I had two deals in front of me, both CPO.

2004 745i 24K miles, jet black, gray interior, premium sound, convenience, luxury seating. In service 9/2004 $48,600.

2004 745i 46K miles, toledo metallic blue, flannel gray interior, premium sound, luxury seating, adaptive ride, In service 3/2004. iPod integration installed as well. $49,995.

I signed the papers for the 2nd option this morning. The first option was not local to me and would have required a plane ride and drive time back. I also have a 2002 Range Rover to trade-in and so with all of my personal variables involved, the 2nd option was cheaper for me.

I'm looking forward to Thursday when I get to pick it up. Now I need to work my butt off, grow my company, and save up for an M6 convertible via BMW Individual and a 760Li or what ever they will be called when the time arrives. My goal 3-5 years. :)
Congratulations on the purchase :thumbup:
Great goal you will not regret either of those two vehicles...via BMW Individual ;)

#14 ·
Keep in mind that you are PAYING for that CPO warranty, hence the $40k price a 2004. Hence the prices chippy paid for a CPO. You can get a good aftermarket warranty that virtually mimics the CPO warranty. Keep in mind CPO excludes the navi, radio, and wear items, they even consider the thermostat a wear item!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.