Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E39 M5 (1998-2003) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   2000 bmw m5 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100681)

jeshie7 06-07-2005 05:51 PM

2000 bmw m5

:mad: i bought a 2000 bmw m5 may, 28th 2005 it only had 24000 miles on, it was a perfect car and was rarely driven now june 7th with 26,000 miles my clutch gave out completley and now im gettin my clutch and flywheel replaced at bmw for $2400. but its kind of odd for a clutch to blow out at 26000 miles anyone had a simliar problem?

01Byte 06-07-2005 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeshie7
:mad: i bought a 2000 bmw m5 may, 28th 2005 it only had 24000 miles on, it was a perfect car and was rarely driven now june 7th with 26,000 miles my clutch gave out completley and now im gettin my clutch and flywheel replaced at bmw for $2400. but its kind of odd for a clutch to blow out at 26000 miles anyone had a simliar problem?

I'm looking to get a M5 and have been doing some research. I can offer you this...

First, the clutch on the M5 is the weakpoint of the drivetrain. It does not stand up against abuse. If the driver before you tracked the car regularly (or drove it like he did), then the clutch might suffer premature failure.

Second, you could save yourself about $1,000 dollars if you did the work at an independant mechanic. $2400 seems high.

Anyway, look at it this way, you will have a true Beast with a new clutch that if treated right will last a long time.

Congrats on the car and hopefully this is the only glitch you'll find. :thumbup:

KevinM 06-08-2005 09:12 AM

Yes, I have heard of this. Go to www.m5board.com and do a search on clutches; you will find much information.

As posted above, the OEM 9" organic clutch can prematurely fail due to the large amount of torque the S62 engine produces. The car does not even have to be tracked for this to happen; if the previous owner let the clutch slip under hard accleration frequently, the clutch will not last. BMW's unofficial policy is to allow one clutch replacement per car under warranty (I assume your car is out of warranty).

On the other hand, an OEM clutch, when driven with care, can last for a LONG time.

Congrats on the car; there is nothing like it!

jeshie7 06-08-2005 12:36 PM

2000 m5 clutch

thankx guys, i got the car fixed bmw had it for 3 days i had dropped it off there monday and got it back today.... the clutch is really soft compared to what it was, new clutch and flywheel ran me $2300 but it rides awsome now still have my doubts about the job they did, now when i close my door i get a rattlin sound from the bottom .....

polshrk 06-21-2005 11:46 AM

clutch

The OEM SACHS/LUK clutch can be bought on eBay for round $300, just bought two @ $284 each, this is true what everyone says that it will last LONG time if properly broke in and driven nicely. Make sure you follow the break-in procedure on www.m5board.com do a search for it and you will find tons of info. After replacing it it will a lot softer than before the job, however will come back to the normal feel after a week or two, depending on how much you drive.

Let me know if you have any questions about anything, I am a 13year BMW master tech and own my own shop in VA (www.eastcoastexotics.net) I have two 2000 M5's and love the beasts!

regards

adam