Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E60 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Beat The Dead Bluetooth Horse (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101831)

adwebinc 06-18-2005 03:08 AM

Beat The Dead Bluetooth Horse

Ok, please don't :violent: me. I swear I have tried every search combination possible regarding the e60 and Bluetooth compatibility / retrofit. I keep hitting a dead end around March of 2005 where it seems that the last word was that BMW was working on a retrofit for pre - 3/04 builds.

Here is the situation. I have a buddy who bought an '04 e60, but it's an October '03 build. He insists on keeping his BMW Assist (:loco: ), but one of the selling features was he Bluetooth compatibility. So, I'm trying to help him out to determine if there is any solution for his build yet. If there is a thread with definitive information at this point, please provide link. Or, if anyone has new information please share.

Thanks all!

jsl 08-01-2005 08:39 PM

I bought 09/2003 built 2004 E60. Same as you, waiting for BMW to have solution for bluetooth to be installed. If you have any new update in this regard, please do let me know. Thanks!!!

Me530 08-02-2005 06:28 AM

As far as I know, for those early build cars to have bluetooth, you need both a software update as well as a new TCU (Telecommunications Unit), which you probably will have to pay for unless there is a problem or you can convince the dealer to do it for free based on your bluetooth issues. Hope this helps!

jsl 08-02-2005 08:29 AM

Thanks for the reply. Do you know how much should I pay for the new TCU? (why not paid by BMW?) I think my car got the software updated since there is software recall early this year on 04 E60.

Me530 08-02-2005 11:05 AM

I'm guessing the cost would be in the $500-$1000 range including labor. You may be able to convince them that they should replace it for free since they promised you Bluetooth and you did not get it. Hope this helps!

ademitt 08-02-2005 01:18 PM

I have an early March 04 build E60 that had the older verison (BT incompatible) TCU installed. The only options are to use a CPT 9000 phone (I know it is not a BT phone) or replace the TCU and have the car reporgrammed. There is no other solution. I know, I tried.

The cost including the programming is between $2000 and $2500 depending upon how good a deal your dealer cuts you on the replacement TCU. BMW has issued a SB stating that the early builds are not to have the TCU repalced unless the customer is prepared to pay.

BTW, early E60 builds cannot have cradles installed as the wiring harnesses are not compatible with the OEM cradles.

Me530 08-02-2005 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ademitt
I have an early March 04 build E60 that had the older verison (BT incompatible) TCU installed. The only options are to use a CPT 9000 phone (I know it is not a BT phone) or replace the TCU and have the car reporgrammed. There is no other solution. I know, I tried.

The cost including the programming is between $2000 and $2500 depending upon how good a deal your dealer cuts you on the replacement TCU. BMW has issued a SB stating that the early builds are not to have the TCU repalced unless the customer is prepared to pay.

BTW, early E60 builds cannot have cradles installed as the wiring harnesses are not compatible with the OEM cradles.

US$ or CAN$ ? (not that it matters a whole lot, its a fair amount of money any way you slice it!)

ademitt 08-02-2005 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Me530
US$ or CAN$ ? (not that it matters a whole lot, its a fair amount of money any way you slice it!)

I have hear of costs to replace the TCU as low as $1500 US (parts at cost from the dealer) to as much as $2500 US. It depends if the dealership is prepared to help you out.

There have also been instances where the TCU was fried during software updating and replaced under warranty by BMW.